Thread: Sear Temp

Sear Temp

Jamie, I have purchased a number of your books and enjoyed them all. The latest will be here Friday. My question for you is what do you feel is the best temp to sear/cook a steak? My kettle can reach 1400 degrees Fahrenheit using wood. At that temp the steak can be a bit dry.
    I have a 2018 Weber Genesis II LX 3 burner and at 50 degrees ambient temp the grate temp is just under 900 degrees, not sure what was wrong with
    Meatheads test sample. I have not tried the LX in the stock mode because I'm currently testing grillgrates for evaluation. Using grillgrates, I do well at about 600 degrees. My question for you is what do you feel is the best sear/cook temp (using stock grates) on your kettle or gas summit? Also if you have tried grillgrates feel free to chime in. Thank you in advance for your response.
    P.S. I have all my steaks and chops cut 2 inches thick.
    Last edited by Michael Mattich; 04-26-2019 at 12:26 AM.

TVWBB Super Fan Jamie Purviance's Avatar
    Michael, thanks very for the question and for using my books. It seems that you really like raging hot temp for searing. 1400 degrees is mighty hot. It's not quite surface-of-the-sun hot, but it's much hotter than what I use for searing steaks. I'm not looking to blacken them. I just want create some deep brown colors and the associated flavor compounds. Most steaks I sear somewhere between 500 and 550. That's the temp on the lid thermometer, not at the grill grate. Within 3 to 4 minutes at that temp, I get plenty of color and flavor. If the steaks are as thick as yours, I usually finish them over indirect heat so that they get too charred on the surface. I hope that helps.