How does Weber get involved in a new cookbook?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
To the extent that you feel comfortable sharing, what is Weber's involvement in the creation of a new cookbook like Weber's Ultimate Grilling?

It sounds like you personally spend a lot of time on ideation of new recipes, you try them, you have others test them, maybe you're working with the publisher on how a new book reflects current trends (e.g. maybe "step-by-step" cookbooks are currently popular, so that format might be well-suited for a new grilling book).

But Weber puts their name on the cover...how are they involved, what are they approving of, are they hands-on or hands-off, etc.?

Weber is heavily involved in the creation of each book. They work with the publisher(s) on the concept. I write a recipe list and ask for their feedback. For Weber's Ultimate Grilling, my list was a little too gourmet. They asked me dial it back to more approachable backyard fare. From there they oversee everything -- the design, the photos, the text, etc. These books are a big deal for Weber. They are sold more than a dozen countries around the world. So they keep me honest and make sure the books are top notch. We've been working together for more than 20 years, so there is a lot trust at work here. They know I'll keep working and reworking recipes until they worthy of the Weber name.

Well, that's good to hear! In an alternative universe, one could imagine a situation where they outsourced the whole thing to you and your publisher and just pasted their trademark on at the end. Thanks for the background.

Back