Any tricks to reviving a worn-away serial and model number?

Tom Richey

I have what I believe is a Weber Genesis Silver B--that is how the Weber rep identified the grill when I spoke with them on the phone. The ID tag on the grill is so worn away that I cannot see any of the numbers on the model or serial number lines. Does anyone have any tips on how to see or revive the lettering?

If you can't see it after clearing away the grease and grime, then you likely won't be able to recover it. If it is "kinda" visible, I have had some success with taking a close up photo with a good high res camera and zooming in while viewing it on the computer. If you post some pictures, you will likely get some very good "estimates" of the age and model of the grill.

Th serial number will be two letters followed by seven digits. This number will tell you the manufacturing date as well as the model if you can recover it.

You'd think Weber would make those tags better since they're so anal about knowing those things when you call them

Yup, I don't know about the most recent grills but they've been pretty much the same for the last 25 years. And it's been a problem all along

Not sure which models this would apply to, but I believe some of them had SN's or model#'s on the manifolds. As Bruce said, if you post a pic or two, someone could identify the model for you. Probably even narrow down the year as well, at least to within 2 years.

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but here is the best (only) assembled photos I have of the grill. It is currently in pieces for a bit of restoration.

The hood is what I would call maroon. The shelves are gray durawood. The handle is plastic.

Last edited:
Late 1990's, Genesis 1000. If you are looking for parts, that is about all you would need to know to get the correct parts. It looks complete and in pretty decent shape. Check out the frame bar along the left side of the fire box. That is a common spot where the bolt connects the fire box to the frame that tends to rust out on many of the older grills. Other than that, clean that baby up and get to cooking.

That's good enough for me. I will post here if I find any marking on the manifold, but thank you for the information either way!

I picked up one of this exact grill, except the prior owner painted the hood FLAT BLACK! With some good advice from Larry I used paint remover and it just washed right off revealing that beautiful maroon color. It is a favorite of mine. Look forward to seeing what you do with it:cool:!

The parts are looking nicer already. ��

The only marking I see on the manifold is 9-075. Don't know if that means anything.

update on progress

Here are my latest pictures of this grill. New paint on the firebox and hood ends, shined up the hood, and rubbed the frame down with Fluid Film. I still need to replace the lower horizontal bars and get the thermometer mount painted and reinstalled.

IMG-2982.jpg

IMG-2984.jpg

IMG-2985.jpg

Here is the grill next to the one it is replacing (the green gas grill). I have spent many hours cooking on that grill, and I have really enjoyed it. But I need something bigger.

IMG-2981.jpg

Last edited:
Tom, you are missing the thermometer mount on the right end cap. Do you still have it. If not, I probably have a spare. That is a great color. I really like it. Maybe more so than the much more common RED. Get that bottom panel in and you have a complete grill there.

Tom, you are missing the thermometer mount on the right end cap. Do you still have it. If not, I probably have a spare. That is a great color. I really like it. Maybe more so than the much more common RED. Get that bottom panel in and you have a complete grill there.

I agree on it being a nice color--although I am partial to the red hoods as well! It's amazing how well that porcelain enamel holds up over time.

I do have the thermometer mount--I still need to get it painted.

As for the bottom panels, the metal pieces that hold the shelving together are rusted out. Not sure what I'll do about that, but I'll get those horizontal supports replaced in the meantime and get to cooking.

As for the bottom panels, the metal pieces that hold the shelving together are rusted out. Not sure what I'll do about that, but I'll get those horizontal supports replaced in the meantime and get to cooking.

You are probably referring to the "Z-Bars"? You can buy stock like this from McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3809 (scroll down to the Multipurpose 6061 Aluminum Z-Bars). Some folks contact the popular "rcplanebuyer" on CL or EBay who will fashion bespoke Flav bars from SS.

Last edited:

Back