What's your "go-to" cooker?

I am a big fan of the Weber Performer. It is the classic kettle grill with the conveniences of a gas-ignition system and a big, sturdy side table. It works great and it’s a sentimental favorite because that’s the grill I used when I wrote "Weber's Charcoal Grilling," which is one of my favorite books.

... "Weber's Charcoal Grilling," which is one of my favorite books.

That's one of my favorite books too! It was with that book I learned how versatile a Weber kettle can truly be! It also taught me different ways to setup my coals. Prior to reading it I only knew how to light the coals and spread them evenly, I knew nothing of direct vs indirect setups. What's more I really appreciated that "finally" there was a cookbook full of recipes that weren't assuming you were using a gas grill.

So yeah, thanks for that!

Cool. I'm glad we are on the same page. Of course I've learned a thing or two since 2007 when that book was published. I know a lot more about working with charcoal, and packed most of that into "Weber's Ultimate Grilling." I also know that people really like pictures. They learn a lot more looking at how doing something right if they can see every step of the way. That includes fire management. How are you supposed to know when to add more briquettes or lump? I can try to explain that, but words alone don't do nearly as well as photos. So the new book has 750 photos. That's way more than what you have in "Weber's Charcoal." So if you learn by seeing and doing, the new one is a great book for you. Here is a sampling of what you will find in that book:

http://bit.ly/WebersUltimateGrilling

Back