Let's talk hanging meats

I'm super excited for my hanging setup for the 22" wsm. There's one thing I've read and seen on youtube that seems like it's 50/50

With ribs, you have a "thin" end and a "thick" end. Some folks hook the thin end, the thought is that the thicker end is closer to the fire and needs a little more heat.

Then other folks say only hang by the thick end, as the hooks need a little more support and it's less risk of your ribs falling into the fire.

What say you?

Here are my two cents: I've yet to hang ribs from one of my WSM's but I do hang them from my PBC. By habit and a little fear I always hook the meatier end and let the narrow end kiss the fire. I have a pic but I won't post it here on the WSM site where--out of three racks--one has some charring at the last rib where the other two have no charring, yet that same rack also has charring at the thicker end. I have never not eaten meat that hung out nearer the fire... but I also eat the darker potato chips from a bag of plain chips, lol.

I cut mine in half do they were not anywhere near the fire. One did fall into the fire but was fine. If I hang again I will keep lower grate in for a catch net.

I cut mine in half do they were not anywhere near the fire. One did fall into the fire but was fine. If I hang again I will keep lower grate in for a catch net.

Hmm.. That really limits the height quite a bit.... I'm planning on doing 9 racks for a get together. I guess I need to do a dry run first. Also a little concerned about that much grease building up in the fire/bowl

What do you see as the benefit of hanging?

Couple things - I really like cooking "raised direct" IE no water pan or anything separating the meat and the fire. This allows the fat to drip right onto the coals creating a very "authentic/old school" flavor that is pretty different from indirect. Hanging is the most authentic way to do this

Also, you get a bit of a different flavor when the heat/smoke rolls along the length of the meat. It's part of why offsets seem to produce a slightly different flavor from drums/verticals when meat is laid flat.

Finally, you can simply fit way more ribs. I cook for our neighborhood parties, to serve ribs I would need to fit 10 or so racks. That's pretty difficult to do unless you hang them.

Back