grilling fish/ beginners guide

Jon-loudivwood

Good morning,
I'm thinking about adding grilled fish(cod, tuna, swordfish) to our family diet. Do you have any recommendations of the best way to grill?
I've seen several different methods online...(foil packets, grill basket) not sure where to start.
I use a weber genesis with grill grates to cook steaks, pork, vegetables.
Are there any recipes/directions in your new cookbook?
What vegetable would you pair with fish?
Thanks,
jon

Believe it or not, slathering a thin layer of mayo on the fish will help to keep it from sticking. I would do that and use your grill grates.

Good morning, Jon. Thanks for your question -- a really good one! If you are getting started with grilling fish, I recommend the firm, meaty fish -- like salmon, halibut, mahimahi, swordfish, and tuna. In Weber's Ultimate Grilling, I get into the details with an extensive Q&A section on grilling fish. Here I'll emphasize that a lot of beginners turn fish too early, while it is still sticking to the grate. Wait until you have developed crust on the first side (with high heat). The crust will allow you to turn the fish without sticking. There are several fish recipe in my new book and each one has several photos showing you how things you should look and feel at crucial stages along the way. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me on my Facebook page. I can help when you are wondering what to do next. I often cook vegetables alongside the fish. You might want to start with my Swordfish with Blistered Tomatoes. It's one of the simplest recipes in the book and really, really good.

https://www.facebook.com/chefjamiepurviance/

Thanks for the reply.
I am going to pick up/download a digital copy of your new book tonight.
Have you experimented with grilling frozen fish? It is difficult to find fresh fish locally.
Hopefully i can experiment this weekend. The local fish monger is 40 minutes away.
Have you ever grilled green tomatoes?
Jon

I'm just a bored salesman whom has taken an interest in outdoor cooking over the past few years. Just recently I've been reading about parchment paper and I intend to give it a try with fish... unless you experts warn otherwise or I read about it in Jamie's newly-released book that I purchased yesterday.

Yes, I have done pretty well with fish that has been previously frozen and then thawed slowing in the refrigerator. The texture is little looser and harder to handle, but you can make it work. One thing: make sure to pat it dry before oiling it and setting on the grill. A wet piece of fish will steam and stick to the grates.

You know, I never have grilled green tomatoes. It's a not "a thing" out in my part of California. But I just planted some tomatoes last week, so I now plan to pick some a little early and grill them. Do you have any tips for me?

Cooking in parchment paper is a legitimately great way to cook fish. The French call it "en pappillote." I don't really associate with grilling, because the paper would be a barrier to the grill flavor, but the fish will cook nicely in there, especially off you have things like lemon, herbs, and wine in there with the fish. The aromatic steam is really nice. And if you do it outside on the grill, the house won't smell like fish for day. Look up en pappillote recipes and try one on the grill -- probably using indirect heat and a fan under the fish. Good luck!

I have a nice recipe for Fish Tacos with Southwestern Slaw on my website. It callsfor skewering chunks of fish first. Once they are cooked, you just slide them into some warm tortillas and pile on the salsa and crema. Make sure the fish is patted dry before coat the cubes with oil and skewer them. Also you want to make sure the grill is quite hot and extremely clean. If you have bits of teriyaki chicken still sticking to the grate, you are in trouble. But if you have a hot, clean grate and lightly oil fish, and you waiting until the fish side releases naturally, you will be good.

Check under RECIPES here:
https://www.jamiepurviance.com

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just skimming thru the new book now.
The mahimahi with green goddess dressing sounds great and similar to the suggestion above using mayo.
The swordfish with blistered tomatoes sounds like something i want to try right away.
I guess it will depend on what is fresh locally before i decide.
Fried green tomatoes on a BLT is more of a southern thing i guess. I was thinking the green tomatoes might hold up to the heat and be a little healthier than fried.
After a little thought, i might try to blister them with some onion, garlic, pepper, cilantro for a salsa to serve along with some seafood.
Thanks for the inspiration. Really enjoy all the photos that are with the recipes. It helps to visualize the process.
jon

Jon, you are spot on. The mayo in the green goddess dressing does prevent sticking and the whole dressing add a fantastic flavor. It looks like you are well on your way to grilling seafood and green tomatoes,and bunch of other things. If you don't mind, please take some pictures and post them on my Facebook page. I know there are a lot of people out there who are unsure about what to try next. I think your pics and stories might give them some confidence to get out there and enjoy some new recipes. Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/chefjamiepurviance/

Back