How to add unlit coals mid cook without adding bad flavor

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I was cooking several racks of ribs for a family wedding reception, and during one of the 3 times I cooked ribs I added a lot of unlit coals trying to force the cook to go faster (time was nearing 11:00pm on a work night). I don't remember all the details but there was an off taste to me on those racks. I think I just poured a lot of KBB into the charcoal ring & re-assembled the cooker. I went back out & noticed a thick smoke & might've disassembled the cooker.. it's been a while and I kind of tried to forget that cook...

I was doing things differently for this series of cooks so there were a few variables (started using chunks instead of chips, so maybe the amount of smoke was part of the issue).

I wanted to avoid this during my following brisket cook so bad that I actually set the mid-section / briskets / lid of my WSM aside from the bottom bowl for nearly an hour each time I re-fueled to make sure I didn't get any of that off flavor. I wasn't running a thermometer so I can't speak to the temps.

The minion method is so popular and I know the details I provided are limited, I just wonder if you have any insight on how to avoid off the off flavor.

Clint, you described a scenario that I think a lot of us have experienced. It’s such a disappointment when you have been smoking meat for hours and, as the temperature starts to drop, you add more charcoal only to find that if burns with a sooty aroma that gets all over your meat. I’ve been there, too, which is why I do everything I can to avoid having to add more charcoal. If I know I’ll be cooking for more than a few hours, I often use a 22.5 inch WSM and fill it to the max with charcoal. First I fill the ring with a full chimney of unlit briquettes and 5 or 6 fist-size chunks of wood. Then I light a full chimney of briquettes. Whne those are asked over, I pour them over the unlit ones, assemble the smoker and fill the water pan about ¾ full. I usually wait about 30 minutes for the temperature to stabilize and the smoke to come out clean. Then I put the meat on. With good control of the vents, I’ll get at least 6-8 hours of steady heat that way. If I really need to bump up the temperature, first I open the vents. Then I consider adding charcoal. If I am using more briquettes, I light them first so any soot aroma burns away. Sometimes I add unlit lump charcoal. It gives a quicker boost in temps without the risk of off aromas. At least that’s been my experience and I’ve been doing this professionally for more than 20 years. I hope that helps a little. Thanks for the question.

Jamie
https://www.facebook.com/chefjamiepurviance/

Back