RIP: Beloved Bay Area meat/sausage man Dittmer Bubert

Chris-

Have to post on this one..... I heard this news the day Herr Bubert passed. He holds a very special place in my heart as he was a good buddy of my father's (lost dad 11 years ago.) My dad had a passion for all things German, to the extent that he taught himself to speak it from a set of cassettes from the library, and eventually could do the crossword puzzle in German as fast as he could in English. One of the first people he practiced his conversational German with was Dittmer. We had long been patrons of Dittmer's wonderful shop (in the original location by the Firestone tire store), and my dad would make a trek there, at least weekly, to pick up a loaf of rye, pickled herring, and whatever stuck his fancy in the "wurst case". I can't even begin to count the number of special family dinners for which Dittmer picked out, and butchered whatever cut of meat my dad was after.......including a run of about 15 years of Christmas standing rib roasts. Dittmer and his son Mark would always greet us warmly when we came, and that continued when I visited the shop after my dad passed away. I always enjoyed seeing "the old guy" at work, as he was a master at his craft, and genuinely cared about the patrons he came to know there.

I will be stopping by Dittmer's tomorrow to pick up a few links, and a slice off the kassler, as that was my dad's favorite.

RIP, Herr Bubert, you will have a place in the Greenberg family memory forever.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:
What a great story, Rich. I'm glad you took the time to share it with us. Next time I visit, I'll have to try the kassler.

Back