Clips for logo on hood

BrianV

Hi all, does anyone know where I can buy replacement pressure clips that attach the logo to the hood? Restoring a Genesis 1000, and while I was able to remove the old ones, they were quite brittle and broke in the process. Does a lowes or home depot sell a replacement? Thanks in advance!

Yes some well equipped HW stores do carry these. Some have a better selection of nuts and bolts. Check your local stores.
I personally went a different route. Since I have a tap and die set at home I just cut a thread on the logo pins and fasten them with nuts. The 4mm thread works just perfect.

Brian,
Go to your local Hardware store and search for Hillman #10 Bolt Retainers.

XA5G0ji.jpg

Jeff

I second the RTV, use high temperature engine RTV. If you go into any AutoZone or whatever store you have in your town and ask for high temperature RTV, even the .... qualified personnel behind the register .... will know what you are asking for. You just need a dollop and it will hold strong. And yes, if you ever need to remove it a little prying with a plastic putty knife will take it off easily, but not so easily that it would come off otherwise.

Of course, if you're a purist, you will want the hardware :)

I second the RTV, use high temperature engine RTV. If you go into any AutoZone or whatever store you have in your town and ask for high temperature RTV, even the .... qualified personnel behind the register .... will know what you are asking for. You just need a dollop and it will hold strong. And yes, if you ever need to remove it a little prying with a plastic putty knife will take it off easily, but not so easily that it would come off otherwise.

Of course, if you're a purist, you will want the hardware :)

I am not sure a purist would be that anal but since I am anal in general not going to comment but the RTV stuff works great and I just did a silver and used Bruce's idea sprayed the logo after I got it done and used a high heat clear really don't know why you would ever have to remove it again.

I haven't put high heat clear on mine, so once every couple of years I guess I need to take it off and repaint it. My restored grill is constantly getting re-restored, so it's not big deal for me. I guess I meant if you wanted to have the grill be totally, completely all original or as close to that as possible then you would want the bolt retainers, I guess.

On a side topic, how come nobody talks about the boltless side panels for the hoods on here? There are side panels that have threaded welded aluminum (I imagine) studs inside so there are no bolts. Clean look I think.

On a side topic, how come nobody talks about the boltless side panels for the hoods on here? There are side panels that have threaded welded aluminum (I imagine) studs inside so there are no bolts. Clean look I think.

I like that clean look. But I also like to replace the factory bolts with stainless as well. Coin flip either way I guess.

I actually like the lid panels without the integrated bolts. These separate bolts have real 1/4-20 threads and one can use real stainless nuts. The integrated bolts only work with these thread cutting nuts and I have not found yet any SS version. But I guess I am picky. lol.

I like the integrated bolts except if you are going for originality in an older style Genesis. I had not really noticed that difference for a long time, but when I did my Skyline I was looking through my "Weber graveyard" and saw that I had a set like that. Since that grill was all custom mix-and-match, I decided I liked the cleaner look.

I am content to use the regular ones for older style grills. I personally would rather use the stock flat head bolts that you paint black (aiming for a clean look still!), but I have seen some of the pretty cool restores where some have used all stainless. Definitely will last longer although I haven't had too many rusted out since they get covered with grease.

I have some of the clips that I got from ACE hardware. However, I have been using the high heat RTV. Simple and effective. But, my tube dried out to the point it won't come out of the tube any more, so I had to use the clips I had in stock. I am going to get another tube of RTV though.

Yes some well equipped HW stores do carry these. Some have a better selection of nuts and bolts. Check your local stores.
I personally went a different route. Since I have a tap and die set at home I just cut a thread on the logo pins and fasten them with nuts. The 4mm thread works just perfect.
At the risk of rekindling an old thread, I need to give a shout out for the 5mm die idea. I have a bunch of old emblems and only recently learned the correct size for the clips (thanks, TVWBB). A mechanical fastener has always held more appeal for me than the though of using RTV, so I ordered up a die and a box of 5mm stainless flange nuts. I just spent a half an hour out in the shop running threads on a dozen or more emblems and couldn’t be happier.

Back