Where are you on the Prime beef craze?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like Prime meat is everywhere these days. I see fresh cuts of Prime beef at Costco, at supermarkets like Safeway, and even CAB Prime burgers in the frozen food section at Walmart!

They used to say that Prime beef was rare, the top 2%, etc. but suddenly it's not so hard to find. I've read some articles saying that not all prime beef is created equal, some coming from better breeds of cattle, some from lesser breeds, some suggesting that Choice may be your better choice. :)

Jamie, are you cooking a lot more Prime beef than you used to? And do you have any opinion about the quality of it now vs. in the past?

Chris, I feel like Prime has gotten into peoples' heads as the new normal for how to cook an outstanding piece of meat. In the competition world, most people think you can't win the big prizes without Prime or something super expensive like that. I know I can make some awesome food using Choice and that's what I do on most days. When I see Prime at a great price at Costco, I pick it up and enjoy it tremendously. But it's not long before I'm back to enjoying Choice. I guess it's a little like golf. If you want to get better, you can keep buying the next most expensive clubs and you will probably enjoy a marginal benefit, but you would surpass that margin if you just practiced more with your old clubs and improved your technique. Learn some great techniques for cooking Choice and you will be happy. Save the Prime for special occasions or for days when it is on sale.

I love this answer & explanation, I feel the same way about most of my interests.

*I* am usually the limiting factor, not the slightly lighter or more powerful piece of equipment.

Back