Griddle or grate

I could imagine the griddle for stuff like eggs or bacon. Any stuff you can't or don't want to place on a grate drectly. However a few concerns:
- The Q1000 is small and a griddle on half that cooking surface does not provide much space.
- No lip around that griddle which would catch any grease or liquids of stuff you throw on there. If making bacon you will end up with a very messy grill.
- Also I would not cover both sides with a griddle because this traps too much heat in the lower half of that grill. I am afraid this will cause damage on the grill if the heat cannot escape.

I personally would go with that grate. If I need a griddle I would get a small cast iron one with a lip which I could place on top of the grates.

Sam,

I have the old cast iron griddle (Weber 6505) that goes the width of the Q200/2000 but leaves enough space for the grill to still breathe. It just lays on top of the regular grates. I like it because you can cook a bunch of bacon/sausage or other greasy stuff outside instead of messing up the kitchen. The design lets you do a fair amount of stuff - more, I think, than a half piece:

https://www.google.com/search?q=web...UIDygC&biw=1689&bih=914#imgrc=cBPn-mfe56AWlM:

Jon, I agree. This is probably a much better solution. Occasionally one can get lucky and find these discontinued items on eBay. The made one for the Q100/1000 and one for the Q200/2000.
And I think they are still being sold in Europe.

Hey, sam, post back and let us know how that SS grate works out for you. It looks very intriguing.

Will do Bruce, it may be awhile though as I have some Genesis grills to rehab first then the Q.

Sam, I have several Q's laying around but a big back log of Silver B's and 1000's that need attention first. I will probably not get to the Q grills for a month or two.

If I had to pick - grill for sure. I have the older style griddle which has a lip to direct grease which is placed on top of the grates. I like it a lot. One thing to keep in mind is you need some airflow up from the bottom - this is why the weber griddles are notched so you can put two in there. There some aftermarket products which cover the entire surface solid, I would be concerned about blocking airflow

Back