Lets revisit Loco Moco - cold smoked burgers

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I haven't been cooking outdoors much lately.

Too much going on. I hope to change that soon!

A few months back I cold smoked some hamburger patties. I had ground 25 pounds of beef clod. Usually without too much trimming you get a good 80/20 mix. It's considerably cheaper than using Chuck. I split the 25 pounds in half. one half I formed into 1/3 pound burgers. The other half I packed into 1# portions for use in meatloaf, spaghetti, etc. Ten of the raw burger patties I cold smoked.

The day that I did the cold smoke the outdoor temp was 30°f. During the two hour smoke the smoker temp never got above 34°. I used the AmazeN 6" tube smoker with pecan and cherry. Once done I vac packed and put into the freezer.

I took a pack out the other day and decided to make some loco moco. It was dumping rain so I opted for the stove top and cast iron. The smoke added a nice element to the dish.

46730131305_f41a173f5d_c.jpg

47592892392_ce95a66b95_c.jpg

Plain old brown packet gravy

Used the baby egg pans to get perfect sunny side up eggs.

40679145323_52537c709b_c.jpg

46921719054_1a5e9b5a58_c.jpg

46730121845_f3d6dcbfcb_c.jpg

46730121795_885b515855_c.jpg

40679150263_0c66f4702c_c.jpg

Looks great Case. I've seen you do these 2 or 3 times now and still haven't tried them. My Mom lived in Hawaii a number of years but I don't remember her ever mentioning them. I'll definitely try them soon. I think I told you that last time! :) That cold smoked burger sounds really good as well. I've got about every size and type of cast iron out there, seriously, except for the 3 1/2" egg pan. I believe I've seen them at our local Sportsman's Warehouse, but if not my good friend Amazon will fix me up.

Last edited:
My first time seeing your Loco Moco and I like it. Hunted down a recipe for it and will be trying it soon.

Case, that is an awesome bowl of food. Going to have to give that one a try. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Looks ono Case! Me being from Hawaii, that is comfort food right there!

Thanks Sam! Which Island?

I first learned about Loco Moco in the late 80's when a Chef from Hawaii and his then wife opened up a little restaurant where I lived. Once I tried it I was hooked. He also served Mahi Mahi and eggs. The Mahi Mahi was butter poached and it was soooooooooo good!

His clam chowder was his grandmother recipe as was the teriyaki he used in dishes. He'd never give either of those out, but if you brought a mason jar he'd sell you a jar full.

I worked for a bit on the Big island. Lived in Waimea and on work days always stop at the Kamuela deli (not there anymore) for Loco Moco, Saimin, or thier egg bagel sandwhich.

Good stuff!

Of course if time was tight I grab Musubi from the gas station deli!

Looks great Case. I've seen you do these 2 or 3 times now and still haven't tried them. My Mom lived in Hawaii a number of years but I don't remember her ever mentioning them. I'll definitely try them soon. I think I told you that last time! :) That cold smoked burger sounds really good as well. I've got about every size and type of cast iron out there, seriously, except for the 3 1/2" egg pan. I believe I've seen them at our local Sportsman's Warehouse, but if not my good friend Amazon will fix me up.

Ha!

Yeah these little pans are great for cooking one egg. Great for making one sunny side up!

Baby cobblers are good in them too.

My first time seeing your Loco Moco and I like it. Hunted down a recipe for it and will be trying it soon.

Case, that is an awesome bowl of food. Going to have to give that one a try. Thanks for sharing it with us.

This is a keep it simple is better recipe. Sure go ahead and add some green onion on top if you want. All you need is rice, a seasoned burger patty, perfectly cooked runny egg, and packet brown gravy.

Yep its good and filling.

On a side note I've been known to sub a slice of leftover meatloaf...

Looks so Excellent, Case ! Think it will go over very well at our house.

And your mention of Saimin... (my personal favorite noodle dish). Saimin is not Saimin, IF one can not find Saimin noodles... As far as I can tell, no one on the mainland makes them, only Sun Noodles on Oahu.

Yep its good and filling.

On a side note I've been known to sub a slice of leftover meatloaf...

Imagine that, Barb just smoked a meatloaf last Friday and there's about half of it in the freezer. That outa work.

Looks so Excellent, Case ! Think it will go over very well at our house.

And your mention of Saimin... (my personal favorite noodle dish). Saimin is not Saimin, IF one can not find Saimin noodles... As far as I can tell, no one on the mainland makes them, only Sun Noodles on Oahu.

Thank you Bob!

Here on the mainland I’ve tried S&S old world Saimin it’s blah. You can also just get their noodles no stock mix. Hula is another (just noodles) that I have not tried but have seen here. And yes Sun has their noodles here too.

I have used rice noodles and that makes a pretty good substitute.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine that, Barb just smoked a meatloaf last Friday and there's about half of it in the freezer. That outa work.

Oh yeah it sure will! I’ve even used a slice of left over fatties. Even made a special Loco Moco fatty once.

Thanks Sam! Which Island?

I first learned about Loco Moco in the late 80's when a Chef from Hawaii and his then wife opened up a little restaurant where I lived. Once I tried it I was hooked. He also served Mahi Mahi and eggs. The Mahi Mahi was butter poached and it was soooooooooo good!

His clam chowder was his grandmother recipe as was the teriyaki he used in dishes. He'd never give either of those out, but if you brought a mason jar he'd sell you a jar full.

I worked for a bit on the Big island. Lived in Waimea and on work days always stop at the Kamuela deli (not there anymore) for Loco Moco, Saimin, or thier egg bagel sandwhich.

Good stuff!

Of course if time was tight I grab Musubi from the gas station deli!

Born and raised on the Leeward side of Oahu.

Look, I just finished my breakfast and I’m already trying to figure out how to not gnaw my arm off because of the fine looking “Loco Moco”. Never heard of it before!

Look, I just finished my breakfast and I’m already trying to figure out how to not gnaw my arm off because of the fine looking “Loco Moco”. Never heard of it before!

Thanks Tim. Nice thing about loco moco is its an anytime of the day meal! No need to gnaw off your arm!

Back