Weber Kettle vs. Kamado

Mac Mayhew

TVWBB Member
HI Jamie,

I've thoroughly enjoyed your books over the years and have probably learned more about grilling from them than any other resource. So, I was excited to hear that you are coming out with another book this spring, and will look forward to using it a great deal.

With grilling becoming more and more popular, and with Weber coming out with their own version of a Kamado -- the Summit Charcoal -- I wonder how the new grills compare to a Weber kettle. I understand the Kamados of the world are versatile -- it seems they can do everything. But a kettle is immensely versatile too, it just takes a bit more involvement on my part to get that versatility. My question really revolves around taste -- in the end, while the Summit Charcoal (and others like it) may be incredibly versatile, does it really produce better food than a kettle? And if you add a WSM to the mix as a dedicated smoker, does the Kamado produce better food than the kettle/wsm combination?
I know that there is a huge price difference, but I am more interested in differences in taste/quality of food.

Thanks for any insight! Mac

Great question, Mac. And thanks for the generous words about my books. It will come as no surprise that I cook on all three units -- the kettle, the Summit charcoal, and the WSM. On the all-important question of taste, each one can get you to your desired tastes. It's just that they differ on how they can get you there. I guess it's a little like cars. An inexpensive car can get you from A to B but it might not take the turns as well as a sports cars and it might not be as comfortable on long rides as a luxury sedan. For me the Summit Charcoal is like a luxury sedan. Just opening and closing the lid, I feel like I'm getting in and out of a BMW. It's so easy to control the temperature and smoke quality on that cooker. I love the huge damper on the top of the lid for changing the combustion quickly. No doubt you can make some amazing food with the kettle, achieving the same level of tastes. It's just easier and more luxurious to do it with a Summit Charcoal.

Yeah, it's the upgrades that make the Summit charcoal such a pleasure to use. The work surface, the charcoal storage bin, and the storage drawer (on the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center), the propane lighter, the big honkin' top vent that speeds up lighting the grill, the adjustable level charcoal grate, the diffuser plate for smoking, the larger cooking surface, the lid hinge, and greater fuel efficiency because of the insulated design...some of these features are available on the Performer, on the 26" kettle, etc. but the Summit brings them all together in one convenient package.

But is the food better? Not really. It's just a more convenient tool to use, IMO.

Back