Charcoal grill vs Gas grill

The short answer from me is that much depends on what I am cooking and what kind of tastes I am trying to achieve. Anyone with half a taste bud will tell you that a charcoal fire creates more woodsy aromas. I happen to love those aromas on foods like steaks, pork chops, fish fillets and some vegetables. I also happen to love playing with fire – tending the coals to create just the right bed of embers and smoke. That’s how I usually cook, however there are times I prefer a charcoal grill. For example, I might be grilling some fruit for a dessert and or I might be grilling some seafood for just a couple minutes, in which case I really don’t want to light a big charcoal fire just for that. Another nice thing about gas grilling is consistency. If I want to roast something for an hour or more, it’s nice to have the predictability of propane. Basically, you just set it and forget it. And now you can add a smoker box to a gas grill, so if you want some smokiness on that roast, you just soak some wood chips and drop then into the hot. It’s kinda the best of both worlds.

Back