Starting my first rehab - 1998 Genesis 1000 LX

Jon B in MN

TVWBB Member
Picked up what appears to be a 1998 Weber Genesis 1000 LX for free this weekend from CL.

Grill seems to be in decent shape with minimal rust (except for the burners which will most likely need to be replaced). Here are a few photos I was able to snap yesterday before covering the grill up to avoid the rain today.

gE8Gbg8.jpg

XINgt5z.jpg

PoURItJ.jpg

LmJ8HaK.jpg

Unfortunately the work table is missing and I'm not 100% sure on options for replacing it as those parts are no longer available. May just have to buy a set of z-bars from rcplanebuyer and build my own, although it won't match the rest of the Durawood. Does anyone by chance have a spare work table with the Durawood slats that I could buy from them?

Had a Weber Q before this that served us well for years, but gave it away to the guys that helped tear out our old deck to make room for a new patio. Wish I had known about TVWBB back then as I probably would have kept it and done a rehab instead.

P.S. For anyone interested there's a nice looking Skyline available on CL in Shakopee just south of the Twin Cities: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/for/d/shakopee-weber-skyline-series/6867885706.html

Congrats! I was just given a similar one myself today, will fix it up and give it to my sister as a new house-present.

You will love this grill. I have a redhead 2000 and a q200 for my daily runners myself, and the genesis is a lot more grill than the q. Someone on here probably have a table to sell you. Not a fan of the durawood myself, I have a tablesaw so I just make new tables if I need them. You americans have a lot more interesting wood easily available, so always an option.

I may be in the minority when it comes to the durawood but I like it. The real wood when sanded and stained looks gorgeous. but I'm a big fan of the ease of maintenance and longevity of the durawood.

Jon B in MN: If you need some durawood and/or Z brackets, I think I can help you out. I have three or four Genesis 1000 grills and some spare parts besides. I just need to get them all out of the shed and off the trailer out back. I am thinking about culling a couple of the Genesis 1000's any way as I much prefer rehabbing a Silver B as they are simpler with less work and less expensive parts replacements. But, I do prefer the 1000 over the Silver B for performance purposes.

So, I should have some extra Z brackets and durawood slats. It will be a while as I am leaving out of town tomorrow for a while. PM me next week and I should be able to get to the shed for you.
Bruce

I may be in the minority when it comes to the durawood but I like it. The real wood when sanded and stained looks gorgeous. but I'm a big fan of the ease of maintenance and longevity of the durawood.

Definitely would prefer to stick with durawood for now as I plan on using this as my daily driver, but real wood does look nice from the other rehabs I've seen.

Is the part that screws onto the tank missing?

Are you referring to the hose and regulator or the quick connect for the tank? Hose is there but tucked out of the way in the pictures. Grill didn't come with a tank but I happened to have a spare (minus the quick connect).

Haven't had a chance to test out the existing hose and regulator yet since the burners are shot, but will once the new Hongso SS burners get here that I ordered from Amazon (thanks Bruce for posting about those BTW). Regulator is currently setup for quick connect and I'll either need to adapt that to an acme nut or put in a 1/8 > 3/8 adaptor with a new hose + regulator to test.

I also have a 98 gen 1000 that I bought new, I restored it about two years ago and converted it to a 2000 and added a right flip up table also. I kept the durawood for maintenance concerns as it's also a daily driver. I also have a restored skyline 1000 and a 1985 genesis 2 that I just got and will restore. The early genesis grills are really great cookers you're going to really like it.

36758629936_af6be7c1aa_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN2766 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Are you referring to the hose and regulator or the quick connect for the tank? Hose is there but tucked out of the way in the pictures. Grill didn't come with a tank but I happened to have a spare (minus the quick connect).

Haven't had a chance to test out the existing hose and regulator yet since the burners are shot, but will once the new Hongso SS burners get here that I ordered from Amazon (thanks Bruce for posting about those BTW). Regulator is currently setup for quick connect and I'll either need to adapt that to an acme nut or put in a 1/8 > 3/8 adaptor with a new hose + regulator to test.

Odd, didn't know they made a quick connect. How does that attach to the tank? Most grills I have seen just have a plastic and metal piece that screws onto the tank.

Odd, didn't know they made a quick connect. How does that attach to the tank? Most grills I have seen just have a plastic and metal piece that screws onto the tank.

I think it's something that isn't very commonly used today. I've picked up a couple that had the old quick connect on them.

As for how they work, I've never actually used one, I have always converted to the "new" standard. But from the ones I have seen, they seem to work much like the air connections for an air hose to an air compressor. Maybe someone else has more insight than I can give.

I also have a 98 gen 1000 that I bought new, I restored it about two years ago and converted it to a 2000 and added a right flip up table also. I kept the durawood for maintenance concerns as it's also a daily driver. I also have a restored skyline 1000 and a 1985 genesis 2 that I just got and will restore. The early genesis grills are really great cookers you're going to really like it.

Nice looking grill Rich. How much work was that to convert it to a 2000?

First day of rehab. Got everything taken apart, and a first pass at scraping off the gunk before running out of daylight.

4uF9nFu.jpg

Mlj2iD2.jpg

QCv75oH.jpg

1rqt1Qx.jpg

FYPyfay.jpg

oklPRIv.jpg

The flavorizer bars actually look in really good shape, but the grates are stamped and rusting away so going to need replacements.

The burners themselves seem to be in ok condition but the crossover tube is in pieces.

Frame and box seem good too. Can't wait to get this thing cleaned up and start cooking.

Last edited:
If you want to clean the inside of the firebox, I'd recommend an $12 angle grinder from Harbor Freight with a 4inch cup wire brush. Oh, and wear some protective clothing as you'll be a mess. But, it's the quickest way outside of media blasting.

Just take the firebox and lid it to the carwash. That's what I did. Don't have to be so clean inside you can eat out of it. It will get dirty again in a few months.

Yah, the bars still look good...just gotta clean them up. If you have a pressure washer you can use that to clean the firebox also. Spray some of that Easy Off, let it soak, scrub the box then pressure wash.

I for one, have a certain appreciation for the time and trouble it to took to organize this layout.
It looks much better than the mess I typically have scattered all around at disassembly.

Lots of great recommendations have already been offered up here.
Do as DaveW did and buy the cheapo grinder from Harbor Freight. Use it with the wire cup wheel
on the box and side panels of the lid. Also, read Bruce's thread about the Sam's Club grill cleaner.
Pickup a 3 pack of it and use it as well to minimize your grinder time and mess. I would also
highly recommend taking the box and lid to the carwash both before and after your grinding,
to remove as much grime as possible early and for final cleanup prior to painting.
Your flavorizers look to be in very good condition. While you are at Harbor Freight, pick up a
Polycarbide Abrasive Wheel for the grinder and use it on them. They will shine up nicely.
Trash the burners and buy new. They are cheap. Sometimes the crossover costs almost as
a new set.

I really like the durawood tables and handle on the older black Genesis x000's, but only if they clean up real well using Dawn de-greaser and a good power washing.

Nice looking grill Rich. How much work was that to convert it to a 2000?

Jon, what I did was I picked up a gen 3000 with which had a side burner that I ended up using on another project as I didn't want a side burner on this one. I used the frame and left side shelf that came with the 3000, the right shelf was from the 1000 left side shelf. I modified the flip up shelf from the 1000 to work on the right side of the 3000 frame, effectively creating a 2000. I put the fire box and lid from the 1000 into the 3000 frame.
Cleaned up the durawood and painted the frame, the whole project took two days, it was a fun project.

Last edited:

Back