Oklahoma > Oklahoma City: Back Door BBQ

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Back Door BBQ
315 NW 23rd St
Oklahoma City, OK 73103

http://backdoorbarbecue.com/

Mrs Dollar and I visited Back Door BBQ Saturday for lunch. Back Door is located near downtown OKC, in an old business district along 23rd Street that probably saw its best days during WW II but is now enjoying a renaissance. This stretch looks more like Main Street in a small town, with store fronts, sidewalks, and street parking. Its right next door to a cannabis dispensary, something I'm not yet accustomed to.

Back Door gets its name from the parking behind the building and a rear entrance. I drove around the back looking for their cookshack, but never found it. IDK what kind of smoker they use.

I've heard about Back Door for a while, but this is my first visit. Mrs Dollar and I ordered the Grandad platter, it has a bit of everything, rib, brisket, turkey, pulled pork, three flavors of sausage, and bologna ..............yes , the Okie favorite, bologna .......... that is also known as " Okie Prime Rib " . But this is the first time I've found smoked bologna at a joint. I hear its more prevalent in Tulsa, perfected at Burn Co, where Steve Raichlen once filmed a show featuring the " fatty " and they smoke entirely on Hasty Bakes with charcoal and chunks.

And the bologna was really good, it was spicy with a lot of flavor. I enjoyed it.

But the best meat at Back Door was the ribs. Some of the best ribs I've had lately and unlike most, I did not get a lot of sweet flavor from them though Mrs Dollar thought they were sweet and smokey , I would call them more savory, but they were very good . If I could find a fault, they weren't meaty.

The brisket was so so, but I'm not gonna judge based on the three small slices of fatty that came with the platter. I need to go back and order brisket and get both lean and fatty. Back Door doesn't have a cutting table.

Turkey was average, which turkey is a bland meat that needs a lot of help and it didn't get much.

The pulled pork was well above average, which it seems, a lot of Oklahoma joints do pork well. It was good without sauce and would've been good with sauce but I did not see the need.

That gets us to sausage, three varieties, cheddar jalapeno, garlic pork, and black peppered beef. I get better cheddar/jalapeno at a local meat market. Back Doors was heavy on the jalapeno and I thought could use more cheese. I really enjoyed the garlic pork, that was very good.

We got three sides, mac and cheese, beans, and fried okra. The mac and cheese and beans were good, but I did not like the okra. They fried the entire pod and provided a dipping sauce with a dill flavor, but it was not my brand of okra.

DeoAYAl.jpg

Back Door had booths lining both walls, with a community tall table running the length of the dining area. They offer a good selection of craft beer also.

4ciulHt.jpg

Orag6W4.jpg

s62ZScJ.jpg

Smoked bologna with a rib

a0yHlAP.jpg

MYenXnB.jpg

YOFgxng.jpg

Back Door offered a variety of sauces, I did not taste any of them.

extqLFk.jpg

Last edited:

Back