Advise needed for abused red Sequoia

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
I recently picked up this Sequoia. I am at a loss on what I should do with it.
I have considered a few minor tweaks and selling as is. I have considered a
full on resto, keeping or possibly selling. I have had a couple of offers to
sell the bowl, lid and ash catcher only and shipping out of state or overseas.
I really would like an honest opinion from folks here on what you would do.
My first inclination is to keep it intact and not separate pieces though.

There is damaged in one of the corners. Looks like a dog or squirrel chewed the
hell out of the wood. The entire top has had a crappy replacement with deck boards.
The previous owner spilled green paint all over half of it, and the bowl and lid have a
few war wounds.

aXfRGsNl.jpg

ZP1pzJcl.jpg

SUdoPrgl.jpg

E6IPeXhl.jpg

ijAElyRl.jpg

qvCxrp8l.jpg

e1BmNpOl.jpg

8ahjveDl.jpg

What do y'all think?

Dave,
Although rough, that is a GREAT find! If I had the chance to get one of those like that (I can only wish), I believe I would take my time and try to restore the cabinetry to as close to original as possible. The good news is that most of the wood is the same size; Weber definitely tried to streamline production. If the original was redwood that could be very hard to find. Still, these are getting very rare and to have the whole thing I think was a major score. I would keep it together and accept the wear damage that cannot be repaired without being obvious. After doing that, if you can part with it, I would hold out for a strong price.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/behind-the-grill/when-a-classic-comes-home/weber-30541.html

If yours is missing, there is a guy on the WKC who makes replacement ash catchers for that old style kettle. He makes the special one for the Sequoia that doesn’t have the cuts in it go between the legs. If you holder is gone, you can research pictures and try to fabricate.

Last edited:
Jon, it has an ash pan, however I do not believe to be original.
I have contemplated doing a frame off, complete restoration by
reproducing the damaged parts and keeping what is good.
However, I don't see the final product being worth all the time
it would take for such a project. Other than being red, I have
no ties to this piece. Frankly I'm not a fan of this style of cart
and would not have the room to put it either. I would prefer
to find just the right person that IS in love with and would like
to restore to its original condition.

Dave,
If we weren’t a half a country apart and if I had a dry place to keep it, that could be me. Based on what you are saying - which makes a lot of sense - I would offer it “as is” here - but especially on the Weber Kettle Club. There is bound to be interest.

I came to the same conclusion about a Woodard cart with an original, very old patent pending kettle still in it. A cool and not too common item that I got for free. I soon realized, though, that I didn’t have the resources to have it media blasted and powder coated as it deserved. I decided to give it to a WKC member here in Florida who in turn gave me a bunch of Weber gas grill parts that I can actually use.

I posted this identical thread on WKC as well. I have also considered a possible trade.
Basically, all options are on the table at this point.

IF you aren't in the mood to do the restoration work, sell it and get as much as you can. Hate to be cut throat about it, but if your highest offer is for a some of the parts, then part it out. I mean, it's not like it's 100% original and intact, and just needing a paint job. Heck, the sum of the parts might be worth more than selling it whole.

I can see DaveW's point, but I really think there would be someone who would pay more for the whole. It is true that it does need a lot just to get back to original, but it also has enough original to be worth more than just selling off a bowl and ash pan. At least that is what I think. I am sure you can tell I wish I could buy it... I am sure my wife is glad it is hopelessly far away:eek:!

I will bet you will be hearing from some WKC members before long!:D

Back