The start of a 2012 Weber Sprit 2 Burner refurb.

TGodsil

TVWBB Member
Here is the grill as found when I bought it for $40 on Craigslist.
Yes, it does have the burners, bars and grates.
FGWxI5v.jpg

One hour of bar keeper's friend and degreaser later.
VeNhRHf.jpg

Weber is sending me a couple pieces which I will show being replaced once they arrive.
Also have new cast iron grates and SS flavorizer bars on the way.
Need to pressure wash the inside of the lid as well.

Still a couple of rust spots on the "stainless" steel. I tried to remove but there is no way without scratching the stainless.
The lid has a couple of rust spots, but Weber no longer makes said lid. Maybe in a couple years I'll get brave and re-paint.

Weber still makes that lid but I guess they will not replace until it is rusted through and still under warranty. But I personally have never seen an enameled lid with rust. Rusted stainless steel lids a lot but never a rusted enameled lid.
To remove the rust from the SS I recommend a cleaner called Simple Green and 0000 stainless steel whool.

Usually Weber wont warranty any grill that they know is a second owner grill. If they do, anything is a plus.

I have an identical grill to that one. I got it for free and it looks to be in pretty good condition. I may just do a quick rehab and stick little money into it and give it to someone as a gift. I will be finishing up a really nice Silver A two burner tomorrow and it is a great looking Green Head, but I am skeptical of the two burner flip market. I guess we shall see how that goes before I make up my mind on the E210.

TGodsil: Make sure you update with some after pictures as well.

Weber still makes that lid but I guess they will not replace until it is rusted through and still under warranty. But I personally have never seen an enameled lid with rust. Rusted stainless steel lids a lot but never a rusted enameled lid.
To remove the rust from the SS I recommend a cleaner called Simple Green and 0000 stainless steel whool.

The lid also has a giant wear spot on the top, almost through the paint.
Weber actually told me to "not cover the grill" because it seems the cover traps moisture in it.
I also think the previous person using a cover is what wore down the paint on the lid, it looks like the wind moved the cover back and forth on top of it.
I am still looking for a replacement weber logo, but Weber wants $25 for said chrome decal. They seem pretty proud of their parts, price wise.

One of the main parts Weber is sending me at no cost is the bottom tray, which is rusting out. They used a cheap powder-coat process, and most of it is flaking off.

How hard is it to remove the firebox? I might take both pieces to the car wash.

The wear spot on top of lid.
IMG-3714.jpg

Some rust under the porcelain of the lid near the decal, which said decal is flaking apart and needs replaced.

IMG-3716.jpg

Lid interior.

IMG-3718.jpg

Some of the severe rust on the stainless.

IMG-3719.jpg

The rusted out bottom tray.

IMG-3721.jpg

Last edited:
I am skeptical that that is actually rust. I have never seen rust on a lid unless the porcelain coating was cracked.

Here is the lid interior after a good pressure washing.
I prob looked like a weirdo pressure washing a grill lid at midnight, lol.
IMG-3730.jpg

Last edited:
TGodsil, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is one of the least desirable models
and has a terrible reputation, particularly on this board. The worst problem these grills suffer
as you are already seeing, is the floor pan rusts out. You can buy a new one, but as you mentioned
in your other thread, Weber parts are quite pricey. If it were my $$$ I would send this grill down
the road and look for another. I would recommend going a year or two older with the Silver's that
had the open cart, or to the Genesis that was on a better designed cart. If you really are of the mind
to keep that grill, replace the floor pan, and I would keep it inside when not in use.

Do NOT use steel wool on stainless steel. The brushed finish will trap tiny particles of the steel wool and those particles will rust and leave your lid worse than before

TGodsil, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is one of the least desirable models
and has a terrible reputation, particularly on this board. The worst problem these grills suffer
as you are already seeing, is the floor pan rusts out. You can buy a new one, but as you mentioned
in your other thread, Weber parts are quite pricey. If it were my $$$ I would send this grill down
the road and look for another. I would recommend going a year or two older with the Silver's that
had the open cart, or to the Genesis that was on a better designed cart. If you really are of the mind
to keep that grill, replace the floor pan, and I would keep it inside when not in use.

IMO, the newer Spirit II's you see at Home Depot, Lowes, etc are not as well built as the original Spirit line.
Weber still makes the closed cart Spirit, but they cost a bit more and not for sale at most stores.
The Spirit II doesn't really have a frame, just sheet metal turned into angles.
I live in an apartment, lucky to have a grill, the older open cart Weber's have no hanger for the tank (except for the higher end ones I think), so moving it around would be a pain.

I am thinking of putting truck bed coating on both sides of the new bottom tray to prolong the paint.
It seems like a lot of metal products made in China during this era (2002-12) were poorly powder coated, hence the paint flaking off and rusting the metal under it.

IMO, the newer Spirit II's you see at Home Depot, Lowes, etc are not as well built as the original Spirit line.
Weber still makes the closed cart Spirit, but they cost a bit more and not for sale at most stores.
The Spirit II doesn't really have a frame, just sheet metal turned into angles.
I live in an apartment, lucky to have a grill, the older open cart Weber's have no hanger for the tank (except for the higher end ones I think), so moving it around would be a pain.

I am thinking of putting truck bed coating on both sides of the new bottom tray to prolong the paint.
It seems like a lot of metal products made in China during this era (2002-12) were poorly powder coated, hence the paint flaking off and rusting the metal under it.

As far as the coating, POR 15 or Eastwood should do the trick.

Dave, I don't do coal burners...yet. hahaha. I am too busy with my silver B's and 1000's to try branching out.

Last edited:
Looks good. What kinda paint do you use on the firebox?

Edit..also..why did some of the 90's Weber's have a side mounted tank, and some just sat on the ground?

Last edited:
Most use Rustoleum High Heat on the fire box. Krylon also has some good high heat options that many like as well.

I think all the Weber Genesis 1000's and Silvers had mounts on the grill for the tanks. I suppose some either didn't use them or the mount was broken or missing.

Seeing your restorations and bantering about logos is making me anxious to get busy. I am giving my family priority right now since I have been locked in tax season prison for two months. I sure hope I will finally have something new to share in the coming month.

FWIW I do think a red kettle makes a nice personalized touch. I first saw it done by another restorer here in Florida.

Back