I really love that little Q

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I bought this little Q1200 in bright pink or what Weber called Fuchsia a few weeks ago. Mainly because it was really cheap and because I love that color and so does my wife. And I have fallen in love with it. This is a real power house. Easily gets up the 600 degrees and it is perfect when you are just grilling for 1 or 2. No need to fire up the large Genesis when there is a little amount of food to be grilled. Way more fuel efficient to get to the same temperatures as the large grill.

Same over here. Have a blue 1200. Used it yesterday to grill up some burgers for family. Been on the same propane tank for going on 3 grilling seasons now.

I have a Q2xx on my back deck that I use a lot. Probably more often than my Genesis 1000 simply for the convenience and as you say the fuel efficiency. No need to fire up the 1000 for a couple cheese burgers.

Yah, I picked up a fuschia Q1200 a couple of weeks ago and is still waiting to be rehabbed but can't wait to use it this summer for our camping trip.

I picked up a black Q1200 with a table, cover and large propane tank hose for $90. It looked like it had been used twice. I really like the way it cooks.

Qs are really nice grills for any kind of basic grilling. I especially agree with Bruce that for a quick lunch or something like that, their fuel efficiency and quick warm-up make them a perfect choice. When you throw in being able to take it along on a picnic or trip, it's a pretty hard to beat combination. I like them all, but the 200/2000 size is my personal favorite.

I watched some of the videos from “fire escape griller” and he does some great cooking with that little one.
I just started with that Q1200. And so far it is big enough. Maybe in the future i will up-size. But I am not sure I will find another Brand new Q2200 for $75.
And unfortunately they don’t make the larger Qs in fancy colors. But there is always engine or caliper paint. Lol

I watched some of the videos from “fire escape griller” and he does some great cooking with that little one.
I just started with that Q1200. And so far it is big enough. Maybe in the future i will up-size. But I am not sure I will find another Brand new Q2200 for $75.
And unfortunately they don’t make the larger Qs in fancy colors. But there is always engine or caliper paint. Lol

I have only done one "conversion" of a Q200, turning a totally worn out "titanium" into a redhead. I used caliper red. Although I used some gloss clear coat it still came out with more of a satin look:

2mnrrpw.jpg

1zn3j2b.jpg

You can look up a redhead conversion that Bruce did where he gave his an incredible gloss red refinish. So, even though the larger Qs tend to just be titanium, you can definitely change with a little work.

Jon, did you grind all of the old paint off the lid before repainting or did you just get the loose stuff off??

Bruce,

Yeah, I did grind it down to aluminum. You can see, though, that it still seemed to have some "texture" which explains the satin look:

1zgdnok.jpg

Although I love your glossy red one, I was still happy with the kind of "stock" look that turned out.

2ag28wi.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, that does look like an original finish with the satin. You could spray a coat or two of the high heat clear and make it nice and shiny if you really cared to.

That red looks so much better than that boring white.
That raises a question: would the Q sell better with a colored lid?

I really love my little Q, too!

That red looks so much better than that boring white.
That raises a question: would the Q sell better with a colored lid?

ANSWER: YES!!! :coolkettle: And you can do it!

My Q story:

I started out with a $10 thrift store pick-up red Q 200 that I repainted red again and otherwise cleaned up. It cooked great and took me through one of our hurricanes. I fell in love with the Q line and started pining for a Q 3200. Found one on OfferUp I believe and got it for what I felt was a steel at $100. Needed a new starter only. Not red, but it was very nice, and much more powerful than the the 200. However, I never really enjoyed cooking on it quite as much. In one of my few semi-successful flips, I sold it. Before I did, I had picked up a nice Q1200 - another red Q - already looking very nice. I never cooked on it, because I loaned it to an eccentric artist on our campus who I was trying to introduce to grilling out. He never used it. One day another resident in the community I manage - a newlywed - said she heard I restored grills and asked if I had something. That Q 1200 seemed like a perfect fit for the young couple, especially with the portable cart and new cover that I had. I took it away from my artist friend and sold it to them. I was Q-less:(!

I couldn't last long, and when this Q2200 with the cart that I like the best came up at a decent price, I jumped:

dRxi3ZD.jpg

It has been a treat to return to grilling on the mid-size Q. Love the cast iron, tightly spaced as many of you prefer. The spacing keeps me from doing my favored crosshatch pattern sear marks, but it still makes some really nice regular ones:

kvOwbvr.jpg

Someday, I plan to redo this Q so that it will also be a redhead. Here is someone else's redhead Q 2200 on the same cart I have. I think it will be a very sharp improvement:

hcSoiBv.jpg

I think a Q grills better than many much more expensive grills. Cast aluminum and glass infused plastic construction means very little to rust. What a sweet grill:smilekettle:!

This is awesome Jon. I totally understand why you like the Q. I like the way they are built. I never had one until recently. First the Q2200 and now the Q1200. Today I stumbled across an offer for a used Q3200 for $30. I could not pick it up tonight. Maybe it is still available tomorrow. They don’t seem to be very popular. Not sure why. Maybe because they don’t look that “manly”

Wow, Stefan, a $30 Q3200 is pretty hard to beat! Even if you have to get a new burner set and grates you wouldn’t be that bad off and you would have two key parts back to brand new.

It does seem like the Q line style doesn’t agree with some people. I used to think they were a joke good only for a picnic or camping. I couldn’t have been more wrong! I kind of like their totally different look as a fresh change from regular grills. For me it is how easy and forgiving they are to grill with and how quickly they clean up. No worries about rust here in wet salt air South Florida:cool:. They are also stingy with gas, making them a great choice for a small meal such as when I come home for lunch.

Last edited:
Love my Q320, but I think I really need to go new grates as they're disintegrating pretty badly no matter how much I clean and re-season them

Wow, Stefan, a $30 Q3200 is pretty hard to beat! Even if you have to get a new burner set and grates you wouldn’t be that bad off and you would have two key parts back to brand new.

Did not get the cheap Q-3200. Seller never texted back plus I threw my back out yesterday morning. lol Meaning I was not in the mood to lift anything. I hope it gets better the next days.

Back