Turkey cook time at 225-250

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
Next Saturday, I'm hosting a whiskey tasting party for 8 friends (10 people total including myself and my wife) and a smoked turkey will be the main meat. I'm planning on everyone showing up around 2:00 and doing the actual tasting between 3:00 and 4:00 or 4:30 (however long it takes to do it justice) with dinner around 4:30 or 5:00.

This past Friday, I got a steal of a deal on a turkey. I was planning on roughly a 14-16 pound bird, but Target had a sale or turkeys for $0.49/pound. The only problem is that the only bird left was 23.5 pounds, way bigger than I intended. I went ahead and purchased the bigger bird because it was cheaper than the smaller ones they had (the deal was on one specific brand of turkey, of which they only had one left).

I'm using my 18.5" WSM for the smoke, but I'm not sure how long it will take. I'm ok with it being done a bit early; I'd rather it get done at 4:00 than 6:00, but not before 4:00. However, my WSM runs cold; with that much cold meat in the smoker, 260-265 will likely be the max temp I can achieve with a full chimney of lit charcoal (dome temp; I just recently started tracking grate temp and still go off dome temp because a decade plus of habit is hard to break). I'm planning on keeping it as close to 250 as I can for the cook. I cooked a smaller turkey for Christmas and 250 was about the max temp. I achieved there. I live in MO, so the ambient outdoor temp around Christmas was obviously about 70 degrees cooler than now, but that shouldn't affect things too much.

I've looked online, and most sites give indications for how many hours to cook per pound at 350. Obviously, that does me no good, so I wanted to ask the experts here: Roughly how long of a cook am I looking at? Obviously I can start it on the WSM and finish at a higher temp in the oven if absolutely necessary, but I'd prefer to just do it all on the WSM. If it makes any difference, I'm using Kingsford Professional charcoal (I think; I got them at Costco, so it's whatever brand of Kingsford Costco sells, and I'm not willing to experiment with lump for this cook since it's for a large group; I've had bad experiences trying new things on the smoker for large groups) and run with a foiled clay saucer in place of a water pan.

Thanks in advance for any help!

That's a good question. I think most of us cook them at higher temps and cook smaller birds. I guess we'll see if anyone can chime in!

I've done quite a few turkeys on my 18.5.....I've come to the conclusion that if you are in the "smoke zone" it is near 3-4lbs per hour at that temp you mention. On Easter (today) I did a 12.5lb turkey, a pretty small one, and it was around 4.5hrs. I would guess you'd be around 5-6 hours or so. Based on the turkeys I've done I'd say maybe closer to 5 but many things play into it, temp, wind, flare ups, etc..........based on your rough time frame, I'd toss it on at 11am....

may be cool to brine it the night before.....very fun stuff..........ohh and I had some Buffalo Trace and Woodford reserve tonight too.

over n out.

Now I will say I use a weber igrill wireless thermometer......I can Bluetooth it to my phone and watch the temps.....If I were a guessing man I'd plan on 6 hours........you mentioned that you'd rather have it done at 4 than 6, so maybe toss er on at 10am....remember you could toss it in a cooler wrapped in foil for an hour if needed...or in the over on a warmer temp for a while if needed.

hope it turns out awesome.

chris

For something that large, you might consider cutting it up into boneless breasts, and bone-in wings, thighs and legs. When you load up the WSM, the wings will likely be done first, then the breasts, legs and thighs. That way you could go with a higher temp (up to 300) and still be able to get all the different parts done to "perfection" by taking them off as they reach temp.

Jeff

I like Jeff’s parting out the bird idea, but the thighs and drums on the bottom wings and breasts on top, eat your way down! Great idea Jeff!

Another thing you can do is to spatchcock it. Take the backbone out, and flatten it. You won't get the presentation, but it will all cook nicely, and in significantly less time (half to two thirds.) The bones protect the underside, and the white meat in the middle will cook a little slower. If I'm roasting, grilling or smoking, I'll pretty much always spatchcock chicken & turkey now. whole bird is only for deep frying.

And cook to temp, not by time.

For something that large, you might consider cutting it up into boneless breasts, and bone-in wings, thighs and legs.

I like this idea too. I've never done a bird lower than 325-350'ish that I can recall, so I would be clueless as to approximating cook time. Buy extra whiskey in case dinner is served late :D

That is a big bird! Biggest I ever did on my 18.5" was about 24# and she barely fit. I like the parting out part, dunno if you have enough room to spatch it.
If you want a true smoked bird, then L&S is the way to go, but the skin will be uber rubbery.
If you want higher heat, ditch the clay saucer ( that's a heat sink) and the bird is an even bigger sink. Go with an empty foiled pan and keep the foil off the bottom with an air space.
Fill the charcoal ring with unlit and dump one fully lit chimney on top. If you have to, crack the lid with a metal skewer or spatula, more exhaust = Higher heat.
The built in therm has been known to read 50-70degs lower at the beginning, so another therm at the grate or top vent is a good way of monitoring the early stages.

A little more info:http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf

Tim

Last edited:
Another thing you can do is to spatchcock it. Take the backbone out, and flatten it. You won't get the presentation, but it will all cook nicely, and in significantly less time (half to two thirds.) The bones protect the underside, and the white meat in the middle will cook a little slower. If I'm roasting, grilling or smoking, I'll pretty much always spatchcock chicken & turkey now. whole bird is only for deep frying.

And cook to temp, not by time.

Will a spatched bird fit on an 18 WSM ?

Will a spatched bird fit on an 18 WSM ?

I have some serious doubts a twelve pound bird maybe but, 23+? I don’t think so. That’s the reason I very much think the parting it out suggestion is the smart move.
I’ve done 22+ pound turkeys on the kettle(22) probably hundreds of times, that is such a fabulous method, I don’t see the advantage of spending hours longer to “enjoy” rubber skin? Just my opinion.

I either spatchcock or, my personal favorite (if 20 lbs or less) is to rotisserie it on my performer. I do smoke whole breasts tho. For those, I do no use the skin.

Mark

I have some serious doubts a twelve pound bird maybe but, 23+? I don’t think so. That’s the reason I very much think the parting it out suggestion is the smart move.
I’ve done 22+ pound turkeys on the kettle(22) probably hundreds of times, that is such a fabulous method, I don’t see the advantage of spending hours longer to “enjoy” rubber skin? Just my opinion.

If you brine a bird you won't have rubber skin if you let it dry uncovered in a fridge for a few hours. had many o rubber skins until I started using this method. I do think I'll try to piece one out and try that method. sounds fun.
Wish I could post pics from my iphone, I have some awesome turkey pics.

How was the Turkey?

If you brine a bird you won't have rubber skin if you let it dry uncovered in a fridge for a few hours. had many o rubber skins until I started using this method. I do think I'll try to piece one out and try that method. sounds fun.
Wish I could post pics from my iphone, I have some awesome turkey pics.

How was the Turkey?

Never brined until maybe two years ago, prior to that, not one failure, but, then again I usually hotsmoke them, most of the family prefers less smoke than I do so, I just deal with it.
I’ve had maybe three less than fabulous turkeys in forty plus years of grilling/smoking. That means I will have an epic failure next time!

Back