Best Craig’s list scores

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
Bought my first Craig’s List grill 5 years ago.
5 Weber gas grills , one kettle, one broilmate gas & a Hasty-Bake charcoal.
In my area a decent restorable grill only shows up twice a year.
I’ve kept 3
A almost new Hasty-Bake for $100
A Weber S-330 in good shape ( had to convert from NG to LP) for $100
A Genesis Red-Head that I did a frame off restoration on , got too much invested ( time & money) to ever part with it.

https://imgur.com/a/xeONN39

Same thing here in the high country of AZ, not much to chose from. Most of mine came from Phoenix which can be as much as a 275 mile round trip. That's why I gave up flipping grills. after two years of doing restores I figure we just broke even at best.
But I did end up with some nice grills I got really cheap for our personal collection. a brand new blue performer that was never used and three years old for $65 also a two year old E320 NG that's our outside oven in the summer and quick cooker in the winter for $125. The best was our 18.5 WSM that was used once for $25. All on Craig's list. As a matter of fact all of our ten grills and smokers were found on CL.

Nice job I would like to have a north south in my arsenal how does that one cook.

Most of my grilling on a Gas grill is searing
Cook a lot of salmon Med -rare, tuna rare , & white meat fish done.
Gets very hot/ grates don’t stick,
Unfortunately cooks better than my Red restored genesis :(

I think most of us lost track on our good CL, FB marketplace, Offerup scores. There just have been too many. All my current personal grills are made off cheap used finds. I would never buy a new one again. On the other hand the bargain hunt can get addictive. 😂

Best ever was the free stainless 330 I posted a couple of weeks ago.
I hope all of us that frequent the resale pages had a great weekend.
There was some serious garage cleaning going on here in KC.
I didn't manage to get anything that would crack my 10 best ever list
but some very decent scores none the less.
Two newer Sprit E210s
Q2000 with cart and cover.
Black lid/Silver C
Green 18" One Touch Gold
22.5 WSM
Unfortunately these will all be sitting a while before I have the time to
turn them around.

My best score was a 1997 Genesis 3000 LX (in my profile pic) for 50 bucks! It was garage kept and only used by a little ol' lady to grill her for her church group on Sunday's. Ha! I bought it in 2006 and it is still my "go-to" grill. There's just something about it that seems sturdier than the newer models.

My best score was a Silver B that was not only free but also came with the rare blue hood. That was the grill that started it all for me (and this site of course).

I found an Old Country Brazos offset stick burner. Sells new at Academy for $1,000 + delivery. My find was 5 months old, owner said he cooked on it three times. I had no reason to not believe that, after I cleaned it up, it was like new. Could even see where the factory sticker had been on the cook chamber lid.

I got it for $600. I could sell it today for that , easily. Gave me a chance to see what I thought about smoking with a stick burner, at basically no financial risk.

But I like it, if anything , I sell it and trade up.

The best score was the first one I ever brought home for rehabbing. It was the Skyline I cleaned up and gave to my sister. It was a first come first serve curb find, and in a condition that nothing had to be replaced, only cleaned up and painted.

26" Red Aristocrat Kettle

I have gotten a few free grills, but I think most were on OfferUp. On Craigslist, my most memorable score was a $35 gem listed as "grill charcoal."

I looked and saw that it was a tired out but also very rare 26" red "flat-top" kettle. I told the seller that it looked rough. He assured me it was "just paint." Well, I knew that was a joke but for such a rare find I went for it anyway. Turned out to be "patent-pending" kettle from back when Weber had nicknames for each kettle size and color. This one was known as "The Aristocrat" and appears to date back to about 1971. To serious kettle collectors, the battle scars are an acceptable trade-off to have something this old and unique. Check out those very orginal, heavy-duty 8" wheels!

jrxhxt.jpg

I confess that all I have done so far is clean off the crud and disassemble it, storing it away in my Weber graveyard shed. I am going to need to do some serious work to get the last leg off and some metal shop help if I hope to be able to re-attach the leg holder and missing handle as well as patch some rust-through. p.s. A super generous member on the WKC sent me a free metal handle already pre-painted to match!

I also picked up a newer ('00) flat-top - one of the last - and was able to salvage the OEM grates to use on this grill. The 1970s originals were obviously pretty rough. I bought a new stainless "Killa Grilla" set of grates for the '00. Here is another plug for Mark Barron of Killa Grilla. He makes awesome, thick 304 stainless kettle grates. He is a craftsman of similar caliber to Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer and I think the BEST choice for kettle grill grate replacements. He is probably the only one making grates for these older flat-top 26ers.

Here is what I posted when I found this cool old kettle:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74...t-Pending-Red-Aristocrat&highlight=aristocrat

Awesome find Jon. In my area i have never seen anything old like this. At least not online. I missed out on an old red kettle at an estate sale recently. A Genesis 1000 is as old as it gets. And even they are rare.
Oh well I am not complaining. Free Gold C, free Silver B, $10 Premium kettle with cover and charcoal baskets, $75 brand new Q2200, $65 brand new Q1200 and not off CL but from HD a brand new 18” WSM for $99 plus tax.

Besides Craigslist, I'm surprised no one has mentioned seasonal clearance.
Our Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot marks stuff down pretty cheap at the end of the year.
Might find a $350 Spirit II for $150.

When buying a gasser off craigslist, do you test it at the site or what? I am not looking to do restoration, just hoping to save some $$$$. Often times there is no gas tank or the grill isn't in a location that's conductive for testing. Do you bring your own gas tank in case the seller doesn't have one (for propane grills)?

Back