Time advice

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
My daughter just gave me a west Marin county free range 4 lb brisket flat (best beef in the world)!!!! Plan is to cook on my 22 tomorrow.

Was planning on water at 250. The question is cooking time. It is about 1 1/2 inches thick. I am guessing 45 minutes per pound, foil at 160 pull at ~190, then 2 hours in the ice chest. Has a 1/16 inch fat cap.

Right now it’s In fridge, rubbed with SPGO. Plan to serve with Texas side sauce, pit beans (on 22) and salad.

My question is... it is quite thin and I am not sure of how long cooking time is for planning a dinner for 6. Your input is most appreciated.

Mark

My daughter just gave me a west Marin county free range 4 lb brisket flat (best beef in the world)!!!! Plan is to cook on my 22 tomorrow.

Was planning on water at 250. The question is cooking time. It is about 1 1/2 inches thick. I am guessing 45 minutes per pound, foil at 160 pull at ~190, then 2 hours in the ice chest. Has a 1/16 inch fat cap.

Right now it’s In fridge, rubbed with SPGO. Plan to serve with Texas side sauce, pit beans (on 22) and salad.

My question is... it is quite thin and I am not sure of how long cooking time is for planning a dinner for 6. Your input is most appreciated.

Mark

Longer than you expect......and they are all different

Id plan 10+ hrs

Higher temps can cut that

Last edited:
A suggestion. MartinB is right, plan long. You can hold it for a very long time in a good picnic cooler. I've held briskets for more than 4 hours very nicely.

Longer than you expect......and they are all different

Id plan 10+ hrs

Higher temps can cut that

Yep. Cook time for hunks of brisket isn't determined by weight, but rather, by thickness. At 250, 10hours isn't an unreasonable estimate.

A full brisket took me 20+ hrs once, when starting first several hrs at 225.

Temp is very critical to time. And its not uniform inside smoker. It can be 250 where you measure, and 235 at meat. And take much longer than you planned.

And reverse can be true too, especially using dome thermometer. It might read 250 and its 275 at the meat. The difference between 225-275 doesnt affect outcome much, but is a world of difference on time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I will plan on the long side. I usually do at least 2 hours in the cooler. It’s not very thick so I wanted to make sure I planned correctly.

Thanks!!!!

At 250, 4 quarts water, it took 5 hours to 188. Foiled for 2 1/2 hours. No pictures, my bad.

Thanks to all for the help!

Back