WSM 18" v WSM 22"

Fritz

Hi All! I'm looking into upgrading from my 18" WSM to the 22". What is the learning curve for the 22"? Specifically the temp control.
I hear it runs hotter and had harder to keep the temps low (225-250). what can i expect? I will NOT be using the water (too messy). Any other tips or aspects of cooking for those who made the jump to the 22" ? Any links on this would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:
I love my 22”. I don’t feel it has any negative aspects over the 18”. It does take a little more fuel, but it cooks so much more food. I feel it cooks the same, but I don’t worry about chamber temp as much as I focus on food temp. My method for the 18” & the 22” is the same. I load the coal ring all the way, add a lit chimney on top, empty water pan, one wide open lower vent, and wide open top vent. It sticks at 200-300 without hassle. Love these cookers.

I love my 22”. I don’t feel it has any negative aspects over the 18”. It does take a little more fuel, but it cooks so much more food. I feel it cooks the same, but I don’t worry about chamber temp as much as I focus on food temp. My method for the 18” & the 22” is the same. I load the coal ring all the way, add a lit chimney on top, empty water pan, one wide open lower vent, and wide open top vent. It sticks at 200-300 without hassle. Love these cookers.

I do basically the same. The only difference is I start with all bottom vents half open, then adjust from there
depending up weather conditions.

I just picked up a 22" and it is BIG. I mean really big. Visually it's obviously wider but also taller. I planned to sell the 18" but I think I'm going to keep the 18" on the patio and only drag out the 22" when needed.

I have always heard online that the 22 is the way to go but as an 18 owner i am glad i didn't yes full racks of ribs don't fit uncut but it really comes down to how much BBQ you're making on whether it's worth it or not. I've read just as many stories about not using the 22 much because it's too big. The learning curve doesn't seem to be too difficult between the two, just more fuel, so if you actually will use the space go 22, if you think you'll need it twice a year, idk my advice is nope. for me personally if i need more space i'll make our kettle into one.

I had both for a while but sold the 22 because moving and setting it up is tough on an old man's back. There was no learning curve. Just fuel and food quantities changed. I did put gaskets on the door and the lid to seal up some leaks. Didn't do that with my 18. If you have an itch then you may as well scratch it and get the 22. It's a WSM and you know how they cook.

I bought a heavy duty pizza pan, foiled it, and that was my pan/heat deflector. Foiling it is simple because it's flat. Measure the diameter of the pan lip and that's the size you need.

I have owned both the 18" and 22", and I prefer the 22. I can do three slabs of babyback ribs and lay them flat. And if I'm doing a pork shoulder, I can just as easily do two and make my friends VERY happy with food gifts.

Back