Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COWBOY BRIQUETTES break down after 1 use

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Jim Lampe's Avatar

Thumbs up COWBOY BRIQUETTES break down after 1 use

I bought 16 bags of Cowboy briquettes dirt cheap from Lowes this past winter
    I like to use what's left over from the previous cook... but i'm not sure this stuff will hold up...

Living a dream in
    ......................The Home of THE P1GVILION

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Interesting. Say what you want about Weber briqs but they are great for reusing. I've even just re-lit them without adding any new. I'd say most folks don't reuse charcoal so they won't get what you're saying, but that's pretty interesting. It seems like Stubbs did pretty well.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow ĎN Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    Interesting. Say what you want about Weber briqs but they are great for reusing. I've even just re-lit them without adding any new. I'd say most folks don't reuse charcoal so they won't get what you're saying, but that's pretty interesting. It seems like Stubbs did pretty well.
    Dustin, I rarely agree with ANYONE 100%, however, everything you said is SPOT-ON! LOVE Weber Briqs, great for reusing.... Loved Stubb's too.
    Told this story to a guy I work with and he looked soo flippin' confused... He said, "You reuse your spent charcoal? How come??" The look on his face made me think he uses & owns, AND HAS FOR YEARS, a gas grill.
    Living a dream in

I bought 10 bags of Cowboy this past winter. Good to know, I'll try to avoid re-using.
    2002 18" WSM , 1999 22 Kettle , 1983 Smokey Joe , 2019 26" Kettle , 2016 Spirit 3 Gasser , Old Country Brazos offset smoker

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
    I bought 10 bags of Cowboy this past winter. Good to know, I'll try to avoid re-using.
    Lynn, after one use, check it out... maybe I have a bad lot/bag... who knows.
    Living a dream in

This is Weber briquettes after use in WSM. Very reusable. Iím hoping that the $3/bag clearance sale Home Depot had a while ago doesnít mean they wonít be available anymore. They also produce less ash than KBB. Now I wish I had bought more than 18 bags.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chilton View Post

This is Weber briquettes after use in WSM. Very reusable. Iím hoping that the $3/bag clearance sale Home Depot had a while ago doesnít mean they wonít be available anymore. They also produce less ash than KBB. Now I wish I had bought more than 18 bags.
    I reuse too.
    But the used are lighter, and brittle
    Not same fuel value as new

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I start fresh in the WSM when there are useable coals left, they go to the kettle.
    I don’t have any trouble relighting, I put a layer of fresh in the bottom of the chimney and the “second firing” coals on the top.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Gold Member
    Jim;
    That's kind of a bummer! I use Kingsford Regular (buy in quantity when they are on sale) almost exclusively. When smoking I always use new coals (I LOVE consistency!). Leftovers get assigned to the grill. I use leftovers religiously! So, that information would keep me away from Cowboy (unless the price was SUPER low).

At any rate, thanks for sharing this with us. This sort of info can keep the rest of us from making a bad call...

Keep on smokin',
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chilton View Post

This is Weber briquettes after use in WSM. Very reusable. I’m hoping that the $3/bag clearance sale Home Depot had a while ago doesn’t mean they won’t be available anymore. They also produce less ash than KBB. Now I wish I had bought more than 18 bags.
    AFAIK, HD were clearing them out because they didn't want to sell them anymore. They're still sold at my local Ace stores but they want $20 for a bag...ouch!
    22" Kettle Premium | 26" Kettle Premium | '00-'01 Genesis Platinum C, 13 bar (Budweiser) | '05 Genesis Platinum C (open cart) | Q1200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast