COWBOY BRIQUETTES break down after 1 use

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I bought 16 bags of Cowboy briquettes dirt cheap from Lowes this past winter
I like to use what's left over from the previous cook... but i'm not sure this stuff will hold up...

Interesting. Say what you want about Weber briqs but they are great for reusing. I've even just re-lit them without adding any new. I'd say most folks don't reuse charcoal so they won't get what you're saying, but that's pretty interesting. It seems like Stubbs did pretty well.

Interesting. Say what you want about Weber briqs but they are great for reusing. I've even just re-lit them without adding any new. I'd say most folks don't reuse charcoal so they won't get what you're saying, but that's pretty interesting. It seems like Stubbs did pretty well.
Dustin, I rarely agree with ANYONE 100%, however, everything you said is SPOT-ON! LOVE Weber Briqs, great for reusing.... Loved Stubb's too.
Told this story to a guy I work with and he looked soo flippin' confused... He said, "You reuse your spent charcoal? How come??" The look on his face made me think he uses & owns, AND HAS FOR YEARS, a gas grill.

E7-DE04-D0-A685-4272-9965-03-EAADD3-E0-D7.jpg

This is Weber briquettes after use in WSM. Very reusable. I’m hoping that the $3/bag clearance sale Home Depot had a while ago doesn’t mean they won’t be available anymore. They also produce less ash than KBB. Now I wish I had bought more than 18 bags.

This is Weber briquettes after use in WSM. Very reusable. I’m hoping that the $3/bag clearance sale Home Depot had a while ago doesn’t mean they won’t be available anymore. They also produce less ash than KBB. Now I wish I had bought more than 18 bags.

I reuse too.
But the used are lighter, and brittle
Not same fuel value as new

I start fresh in the WSM when there are useable coals left, they go to the kettle.
I don’t have any trouble relighting, I put a layer of fresh in the bottom of the chimney and the “second firing” coals on the top.

Jim;
That's kind of a bummer! I use Kingsford Regular (buy in quantity when they are on sale) almost exclusively. When smoking I always use new coals (I LOVE consistency!). Leftovers get assigned to the grill. I use leftovers religiously! So, that information would keep me away from Cowboy (unless the price was SUPER low:eek:).

At any rate, thanks for sharing this with us. This sort of info can keep the rest of us from making a bad call...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

AFAIK, HD were clearing them out because they didn't want to sell them anymore. They're still sold at my local Ace stores but they want $20 for a bag...ouch!

I'd be curious to find out if they react differently on a regular kettle.
Maybe the very efficient WSCG keeps "cooking" them like a kiln after they die out?
Opened my 1st bag today, but fat chance the air leak ash sweepers on my Performer will snuff out any to see if I get the same results.

Last edited:
I used Cowboy briqs to cook yesterday's ham on the kettle, using the snake/fuse method.
Some "all natural" briqs don't light very well off each other, these did and held a nice steady temp.
Nothing left but ash, so no news on the condition of their remains.

I try to reuse anything I can, KBB, royal oak, stubbs. I've had pretty good luck doing that. When we do just burgers or something quick I use just previously used coals. For longer cooks I use a mix of old and new about 50/50. I can't say anything about Weber's briquets or cowboy as I have never used them. But like you said Jim the stubbs never crumbled like that cowboy did.

Ditto on Rich Dahl statement...I save my used Weber briquets for burgers, dogs, anything that doesn't require max heat and burn time. I love my Weber charcoal (bought a pallet at the sale price).

The crumble that is described could be nothing more that less binder & more charcoal. Any left over briquets go back into the chimney for the next smoke.

Craig,H in La Pine

The crumble that is described could be nothing more that less binder & more charcoal. Any left over briquets go back into the chimney for the next smoke.

Craig,H in La Pine

That's what I was wondering, when Cowboy says " all natural " , they really mean it.

That's what I was wondering, when Cowboy says " all natural " , they really mean it.

That's (okay, *SHOULD* be) characteristic of all lump charcoal. It's hardwood that's gone through the charcoal process, but not ground up, combined with a binding agent and molded into briquettes.

Back