Easter with WSM?

Mike in VA

Hello all,

I’m wondering if any of you will be using your smoker to prepare an Easter meal. If so, how?

I’m new enough to the WSM (and smoking in general) that I don’t want to try a raw ham this year.

Anyone have experience heating a pre-cooked ham on a smoker? Any advantage to that vs an oven, other than more smoke flavor?

The advantage to me is the enjoyable experience. And if the wife needs the oven for other goodies then using your smoker is a win-win. Compared to the oven, I like its color and smoke flavor.

I've never done a raw ham and I guess I'm inexperienced enough that I've never seen a raw ham.

Hello all,

I’m wondering if any of you will be using your smoker to prepare an Easter meal. If so, how?

I’m new enough to the WSM (and smoking in general) that I don’t want to try a raw ham this year.

Anyone have experience heating a pre-cooked ham on a smoker? Any advantage to that vs an oven, other than more smoke flavor?

I havent done it, but my brother often does hams on his pellet burner. Seems straight forward. Its just a smoky -oven.

I’ve done ham, a few times, my brother used to do a fresh ham and they have all been delightful.
I generally do the protein for holidays on either the WSM or kettle for exactly the same reason you do Fletch! The oven is needed for other things and it also allows me to get away from the madhouse that is often a holiday dinner around here!
This year I’m planning on gassing a ham, I didn’t have the Genny last year, new tool for me!
Mike, are you talking about a leg of pork when you say “raw ham” actually curing and smoking or heating and “double smoking” a production ham? It’s interesting to me how people choose their phrasing.

Last edited:
I will be doing my Easter Ham on my WSM. I was going to try to cure and smoke a pork leg for my first time to make my own ham this year. I had the pork leg ordered and started doing the research. After realizing how involved the process is and the amount of time need I thought it best to try making my own Ham when I did not need it ready for a specific date and time. My biggest bad habit with using my WSM is trying to smoke on a specific schedule with no wiggle room and I all ways run late. I need to build time for "unforeseen circumstances" into my schedules.

I did a "ready-to-eat" ham a few weeks back to limber up for the summer.
I gave it a chunk or two of hickory and used a target temp of 140 and a smoker temp of 230-250. Brushed on a heavy honey-mustard glaze for the last hour. It was on for about 4.5 hours.
Just made ham and beans yesterday with the bone.

I have done my Easter meats on the WSM for as long as I have been hosting. Since I have a large group I do a ham and stuffed pork loin and all sides are done in the oven. Only advice I would say is go light on the smoke if you are having people that are not used to it. I do not use any smoke wood anymore and just use the WSM as a charcoal oven since that is what people enjoy.

I've never done a raw ham and I guess I'm inexperienced enough that I've never seen a raw ham.

Ditto here on the inexperience! I saw one on YouTube once...

Mike, are you talking about a leg of pork when you say “raw ham” actually curing and smoking or heating and “double smoking” a production ham? It’s interesting to me how people choose their phrasing.

I pictured a raw ham, but had not even thought about the curing process. Out of my league for now. I’ll be going the double smoke route.

Cooking with Ry did a double smoked ham . My wife wants to do this next T-Giving.

This looks do-able!

Thanks to all who replied!
Mike

I’ve done the double smoke thing several times and it’s really nice. Not difficult at all! Great return on invested time!
Don’t discount doing a leg of pork at all! They are really wonderful too! Different from ham but, a wonderful project nonetheless. Roast pork of most any kind makes me happy!

Last edited:
I'll be smoking all weekend with my BIL at the lake. Chickens, butts, brisket (only one), who knows what else. Fishing and Q'ing for 4 days (going up after lunch). Not a ham in sight. Add an Easter sunrise service and you can't beat it.

Back