Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to add smoke

TVWBB Diamond Member

Best way to add smoke

For a long cook, over an hour, I used a double foil packet of soaked pecan chips laid across the gas burner of the Genesis. This produced a mild pleasant smoke flavor. I was satisfied with that method for that cook.

But, what about the quick steak grilled for 8-10 minutes? My guess is a single layer foil packet filled with wood chips not soaked on the burner on high and placed during preheat so there is smoke before grilling the steak.

What is your best way to add smoke on quick cooks on a gas grill? Is there any advantage to using a smoke box? On the grate? Thanks for sharing your best practice. It has been a long time since using gas.
    Peach Kissed Q

ON a quick cook with a fattier piece of meat i.e. say a nice well marbled steak I cannot taste any difference of using a smoke "infusing" method or nothing at all. Quick cooks it's more of a waste IMO

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Now that's not what I wanted to hear !
    Peach Kissed Q

TVWBB Fan
    Maybe try smoked salt

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Thats an option.... Somehow I believe we can coax some 'cooked near some wood' flavor out of the gasser.
    Peach Kissed Q

I have no experience with this but can you add your smoke chips, then let your steak ride on low, indirect for a little bit before grilling?

If you look close you'll notice my smoke tube laying across the flavorizer bars on the left. I fill it with chips or pellets, set it on while the grill's warming up, & cook as usual. Works very well.

If you're interested in cold smoking cheese or salt or ? you might consider a square tube smoker or the amaz-n maze smoker.

The one I got isn't available anymore - the only thing I'd say is to get one that has flat sides so it'll stay put.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...GVBKN3/tvwb-20 something like this maybe.

I have a "mo's smokin pouch" too - fine mesh stainless screen.

The pouch is under the brats here:

(pouch is on the left again)

edit:>>> you'll notice an improvement in color as well as flavor. I can notice the difference on the rare occasions when I'm too lazy to refill mine.
    Last edited by Clint; 04-17-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

TVWBB Diamond Member
    There you go. Thanks Clint. Great pics

I didn't consider pellets but they make sense too.
    Peach Kissed Q

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Petrone View Post
    There you go. Thanks Clint. Great pics

I didn't consider pellets but they make sense too.
    I usually use chips for grilling & pellets for cold smoke but I don't think there's a wrong answer. I have a wide variety of choices all next to each other

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Currently a spatchcocked chicken is on the grill-indirect at 375*. The grill was preheated for 10 min on high...550* or so. A foil packet of pecan chips were placed on the burner cover. grill lowered to med-high. in about 5 min wonderful pecan smoke flowed out ! YUM.

Additionally, small beets and sweet potatoes are cooking on the grill. I'll report on the smoke flavor.
    Peach Kissed Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast