1 Week Until Jamie Purviance Q&A

I love how I am a "new member" - I joined back in OCT 2010! (I started lurking in 2007 or early 2008.)

I need to stop lurking and start contributing. :eek:

Pre ordered Jamie's new book today. I have all his others so why not. Some great recipes in the ones I have I'm sure this one will be the same.

Wow, looks good. I'm trying to stop buying new cookbooks - I may need to hold off on that goal!

Agreed - - I like the little pdf too. I don't remember what, but I learned one thing from it last night and received some other ideas on things to try.

I received my pre-ordered copy of Ultimate Grilling this morning. It's a gorgeous book, beautiful cover. hardbound and loaded with some really great looking recipes, detailed with 750 lovely photographs. Can't wait to browse through it more thoroughly when I get some time. Bought it through Barne's and Noble for $19.43 with our 10% club discount and a 20% off email coupon she'd received.

I received my pre-ordered copy of Ultimate Grilling this morning. It's a gorgeous book, beautiful cover. hardbound and loaded with some really great looking recipes, detailed with 750 lovely photographs. Can't wait to browse through it more thoroughly when I get some time. Bought it through Barne's and Noble for $19.43 with our 10% club discount and a 20% off email coupon she'd received.

mine's ETA is Tuesday (amazon)

You move from a 2-Star Olympian (20K) to a 3-, 4-, and 5-Star Olympian (50K). And there's no title higher than that. Unless you really start ramping up your posting, in which case I'll be forced into creating a title like "Grand Poobah" (100K). :D

I'm of the era where I heard "Grand Poobah" on The Flintstones!

From Wikipedia:

The term "Grand Poobah" was used recurringly on the television show The Flintstones as the name of a high-ranking elected position in a secret society, the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes. The main characters, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, were members of the lodge. The lodge is a spoof of secret societies and men's clubs like the Freemasons, the Shriners, the Elks Club and the Moose Lodge.

The term is from “The Mikado” by Gilbert and Sullivan. It has been “borrowed” by many since the part was written in 1885.
The “Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes” was one of many who used the term.
It’s interesting to me to see how many people use the term and have no idea of its origin.
My brother was an avid fan of G&S until his death! The Mikado and H.M.S Pinafore are probably the most popular of their operettas.
Just sharing some knowledge.

There was the “Lord High Executioner” and, PooBah was the “Lord High Everything Else”!
The executioner was “Koko”, had not performed an execution in anyone’s memory and there was discussion of not reinstating his stipend unless an execution takes place. The poor victim was to be “Nanky Poo” but, he still avoids the “Blunt Bladed Snicker Snee” through love, of course.
What a fun show!

Last edited:

Back