Breaking in my new Vortex with wings

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Reasons for finally getting the real deal:
I was seeing cooks that looked better than my dog dish was turning out, even though it was doing a pretty good job.
Size, dog dish was 5.5" top, 7.5" bottom, and 3.5" tall. The Vortex (small) is 6" top, 10" bottom, and 5" tall.
One of the biggest reason is it was invented and is made in the USA. High quality and will no doubt outlive me.

A grease fire at start up told me I need to clean my bowl. A few Stubb's on the bottom, lump on top, center grate out so it doesn't get scorched.

A few wings with a mix of Oakridge rubs.

I gave the lid a 1/4 spin about every 10 minutes.
30 minutes total cook time.

Absolutely crisp skin, tender meat on the inside, and just the right amount of smoke taste from the lump.

I don't do a lot of wings, but thighs are almost a weekly cook, this will be perfect!
Next up was a couple of chuck-eyes seared with it. Don't walk away from the grill!

To finish out my post, fighting goldfinch. They came in swarms this spring.
Thanks for viewing!

Glad you like it Bob, the wings look great. I have the same two you do although the dog dish is used only on my 18 inch jumbo joe and the results are about the same as the real deal on the performer because it's so much smaller. The dog bowl was my first one and when I used it on the performer I wasn't overly pleased with the results either.
Try some kettle fried thighs with the vortex I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Love the battling birds shot.

Bob, those wings look delicious great job. Like Rich said love the battling birds shot. Great pics on both.

Congrats on your purchase Bob. You're going to love your new Vortex. Wings and Chuck-Eyes look great. Looks like the Finches are a little cranky after a long winter!

Couple nice cooks Bob. Chuckeyes are my favorite. Ribeyes are > $10LBS, whereas Chuckeyes are < $5LBS. To me, the flavor is the same, it's just with Chuckeyes you have to watchout for the gristle. If you're watchful, you'll be just fine

Great bird shots! Their wings look just about as good as the wings on the grill. Good job, buddy.

Welcome to the dark side Bob. Been there with the grease fire. Mine was from bacon grease dripping from my ABT's being ignited by the intense heat of the Vortex. Great looking grub.

Back