Pork Steaks

Tom Chilton

TVWBB Fan
Cooked pork steaks on 26 grill

MWOPyJh.jpg

S3jJSYl.jpg

Salt & pepper, rub, smoked, seared, then sauced and set sauce. Cooked to ~ 170°. They were good - will cook to 180° next time.

Last edited:
Looks like something I'd like to try. I've never had much luck with pork steaks so I just quit trying them......a long time ago.

Clint, I’m surprised you, given your skill, gave up on such a delicious pork product! I go indirect and finish off with a glaze of sauce direct.
Well, I used to sauce before developing diabetes! Now, just rub, for me, and everyone else gets sauce.
Try, try again buddy!
Remember, you do need to keep an eye on them, they can dry out pretty easily.

Sauce was Sweet Baby Ray’s. I did what Timothy said above pretty much, Indirect/smoke, then I seared, then sauced and set the sauce over indirect. The SBR sauce has a lot of sugar and didn’t want to burn it. My wife doesn’t like pork chops, but she likes these.

Bob Correll and Jim Lampe got me started on pork steaks. Now, they are in the regular rotation. I do it very simply:

I use GFS (Trade East) Salmon Rub (yeah, sounds dumb but as Trade East's web site suggests, it works VERY well for pork and chicken). Then, on a hot fire, I flip the steaks every minute by the clock. That is a key to tender pork steaks, in my humble opinion. Then, when they look right, they are right. I found that when they were browned to my preference, they were properly done.

The flip method actually is scientifically correct, to eliminate the proteins seizing (causing tough steaks).

Try the "flip", I believe you will find it worthwhile!

P.S. I like my pork steaks to be 3/4". I simply ask the meat cutter to cut up a bone in pork butt at that thickness. You will end up with some irregular pieces but I find that no problem as I can use them in many other ways without issue.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I like them about that thickness too!
My dad used to do them on an old fashioned “1950’s” style brazier, he’d sit there with a beverage and spin the thing when the flames kicked in...then he got a Weber! I used that for years until it simply wore out!
I will be happy for Easter to come, we abstain from meat on Wednesday’s and Friday's during Lent. But, I’m looking forward to some pork steaks pretty soon! That’s a summer staple around here. Cheap and always good!
Going to GFS tomorrow for some stock, I’ll get a jug of the salmon rub!

Last edited:
I love pork steaks. And do the same have the pork shoulder cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick, flipping often puts a nice crust on both sides but not a dry crust which leaves the insides mosit.
Much better than pork chops.

I sear them, then place in a disposable alum pan in BBQ sauce covered with alum foil and let them braise for an hour. Sometimes I sear them again and sometimes I just plop them on a plate next to some grilled corn and tater salad.

Back