Harry Soo visits Franklin Barbecue

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Friend of this forum Harry Soo, along with a YouTube barbecue friend of his , T-Roy Cooks , went to Franklin.

What I'd like to see is face to face " three hour argument " between Harry and AF on smoke from wood or charcoal/chunks :)

Last edited:
Now I'm really hungry for some Franklin. Excellent video and review of the meats. (One small editing error: When they talk about the "lean", the video shows them eating a slice of "moist.") A few years back we went to a "Live Fire" event (all beef cooked over fire) where AF was the main attraction. I scored a beef rib and after I ate the bone clean, Aaron was nice enough to sign it for me. It's in a display box in a place of honor at the Lucky J Ranchita.

Jeff

Bone_box Small by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

It's a pretty cool video. I can't believe how much food they ordered. The beef rib at Franklin is one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Be nice if Harry could pass through the Carolinas one day and sample the fare. Lexington and Shelby would make a good starting point before heading east and south.

Be nice if Harry could pass through the Carolinas one day and sample the fare. Lexington and Shelby would make a good starting point before heading east and south.

In one of his chats a few months ago, T-Roy said he'd never been to Franklin Barbecue, even though he lived there in Austin. I know some people in Austin won't go because they say they have barbecue just as good at other joints and they don't want to stand in line. But to never have gone, I would go at least to satisfy my curiosity.

I think a lot of joints have probably bridged the gap in terms of quality just because a lot of people are copying the same methods. I definitely don't regret going. I'm not sure I'd go on a Saturday and wait 4 hours again. I'm not in Austin that often and there's other placed I wouldn't mind checking out.

I think a lot of joints have probably bridged the gap in terms of quality just because a lot of people are copying the same methods. I definitely don't regret going. I'm not sure I'd go on a Saturday and wait 4 hours again. I'm not in Austin that often and there's other placed I wouldn't mind checking out.

I'm gonna hit Franklin one of these days, its just tough to find the right time to make the trip.

Pretty interesting video. I wish I had any idea what he was talking about with the convection being stronger near the stack and the radiant heat being more at the firebox side. Pretty amazing stuff, though. I wish I was in my 20's and I'd quit my job and get hired on there doing anything.

when I took my KCBS judge class at the Jack, one guy that I sat next to said he’ll never go because Franklin artificially creates demand by cooking a small supply. Shame he’ll miss it. More for me. (But I still prefer Black’s over Franklin)

when I took my KCBS judge class at the Jack, one guy that I sat next to said he’ll never go because Franklin artificially creates demand by cooking a small supply. Shame he’ll miss it. More for me. (But I still prefer Black’s over Franklin)

Cooking 100 briskets a day isnt exactly a small supply in my book.... My take...he cooks what he knows he can sell. No waste. No serving customers reheated leftovers.

I hope to get there one day and see if its really all that.

This brings back good memories of my last visit to Franklin Barbecue.

For people who like to read words and look at photos:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/tvwb-...crawl-tips-for-planning-your-trip-2.html#day1

tvWbjbb.jpg

I'd suspect that it's more than just that. He may simply not have the capacity to smoke more, or smoke more and still keep to his standards.

Personally, while I'd really like to try his brisket, I have a very, very hard time waiting in line for 4+ hours. More for you, I guess. :)

I'd suspect that it's more than just that. He may simply not have the capacity to smoke more, or smoke more and still keep to his standards.

Personally, while I'd really like to try his brisket, I have a very, very hard time waiting in line for 4+ hours. More for you, I guess. :)

In part 2 the pitmaster said they average 100 briskets per day. Max is 140. And they do increase a bit in busier time of year.

Back