Hog Backstrap

Kemper, tell us what you think backstrap is. Some say pork loin, some say pork tenderloin. The University of Nebraska pork myology website defines backstrap as:

Ligamentum Nuchae: a thick, elastic band of ligament imbedded between the muscle bundles on the dorsal (back) surface of the neck, extending from the processes of the first few thoracic vertebrae to a bony crest on the upper rear of the skull; commonly called the "backstrap."

That technical description doesn't sound like a cut of meat! So "backstrap" must be an informal term or a hunter's term for...loin? tenderloin?

Chris it reminds me of a Pork Tenderloin. I had never had it & was a lil leery of trying it but it was delicious. I’ll definitely cook it again

That looks like loin to me.
I have a hunter buddy who refers to tenderloin as “backstrap”, he does a “rumaki” kind of treatment with venison backstrap, water chestnut piece of venison and wraps in bacon. I wish he’d partially cook the bacon so the venison isn’t quite so “well” done.

Second closer look, yes, I agree Kemper, tenderloin.
I think I might try a version of that project but, I will butterfly the tenderloin, pound it a little then, roll it. Jacketed in a lattice of bacon, like a fattie.

Last edited:
Backstraps are generally venison. It's the meat on top of the spine, whereas the loin is the meat below the spine. When I used to hunt deer, the first thing was get the guts out, and the second thing was get the backstraps out. They go on the grill before the backstaps even cool and you only cook them to 115 degrees

Back