Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best approach to removing the firebox bolt?

Totally agree THyde.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
    If you want the stainless frame then look for an 05-06 Genesis Platinum. Hard to come by but they pop up here and there.

As far as cleaning the firebox, if you want it shiny clean then nothing will beat an angle grinder and cup brush. I've been there and done that though and now resort to using Sam's Club oven and grill cleaner and a pressure washer because it's easier and less time consuming. It won't get it nice and shiny though, just clean enough for me at least.
    Yes, I'm not looking to get it shiny clean, not at all. I'd just like to get the previous owners cooking residues off it, that's all. I can smell their burgers as I scrape. I'm going to see if I can find a polyethylene container large enough to soak the firebox in. Any ideas? Maybe a 55 gallon barrel?

Here is another idea, although some may disagree with me due to the potential to "warp" the fire box:

Heat that sucker up as hot as you can get it for a good 30 minutes. Put some tin foil over the grates to keep the heat down below. The heat will char any grease residue and you should be able to scrape it off much more easily. It will be more like ash than grease. However, don't overdo it and warp the fire box.

"These friggin things are WARPED! Why do I always get a warped one?"

"Right as usual, sir."
    Weber Genesis 2000, Natural Gas

Tomorrow's the big day for me. Going to try and fix the remaining problems and get it back together. I'm not shooting for a restoration, just clean-ish and functional with minimal dollars spent.

1. Frame connectors are fixed (today) with the McMaster-Carr square push-in (hammer-in) nuts.
    2. Going to try welding a nut to the stub of the firebox bolt. That always works on YouTube. Plan B is to drill it out.
    3. Going to try welding the tabs back on to the right frame. These will be my first welds ever and I've received no instruction so a guaranteed disaster, I expect. Plan B is to grind the remnants of the tabs off and use 1-1/4" McMaster-Carr square push-in (hammer-in) nuts in the top of the wheel frame tubes with a vertical bolt through the right frame.
    4. Spray-on oven cleaner and more pressure washing of the firebox.
    5. Wire wheel and paint the manifold.
    6. Reassemble and grill!
    Last edited by Mikey B.; 06-14-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Sounds like a good deal more involved than a standard reassembly. I wish you well and look forward to hearing/seeing how it all works out.
    Good luck.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345