Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best approach to removing the firebox bolt?

Tim: You're definitely a Jersey native from living in all those areas! I totally understand the move though. NJ is wonderful from a geographical perspective for us since we like to frequent NYC and Philadelphia. I also love the food in and around town. However, as you know, taxes are terrible and the housing prices are ridiculous...especially when its polar opposites on the pricing spectrum from North to South NJ. In the future we may move but right now it suits our lifestyle and we were able to get a good value 50yr old house (relative to NJ prices lol) with a decent plot in a quiet neighborhood. Being a DIY guy helps keep costs of maintenance down as well. I do go to the poconos a few times too, mainly to go skiing/sledding although I enjoyed the summers there canoeing/rafting. Lots to love in that area for sure!

Gerry: My son loves helping around with chores and projects. One day I will take real advantage of his small hands and arms to reach into my engine bay to access hard to reach areas.

LMichaels: You're one of the reasons I started this restoration journey! When I bought my LX I did get a "relatively" good deal. I also conceded to the pseudo-made-in-the-USA "transition" model. I've only had it few months but I do love it so far. I will try and maintain it and see how it goes. Now that I got a working grill I thought I was done until I thought about the N-S configuration. I then researched about getting solid performance on fixer/upper E-W Webers that could be found for cheap. I stumbled on all these restoration posts and here I am attempting my first one. I will be able to compare their performance and reliability as time goes by. I never thought I'd be a multi-grill kinda guy (especially with gassers). I could imagine having a charcoal, smoker and gas but here I am on that slippery slope of modding again.

Count me among the last to fight the dreaded left bolt in the firebox. I broke it off trying remove and then proceed to drilling. I ended up drilling half of the screw, with the bottom half still remaining I figure I'll make a slightly larger hole in the outer frame with the bolt going from inside the firebox out through the frame, sitting just above half of the old screw, using a wing nut on the other side. Using anti-seize, so I never had to do this again. Then again, once this bad buy is rebuilt, I'll be in maintenance mode.

In the process, I broke about 6 drill bits. This is one tough SOB. Of course, it was the last thing I need to accomplish before the rebuild. Painting as early as Sunday. New stainless bolts from BoltDepot arrived and are very nice!

If my strategy is flawed, beyond what I've screwed up already, please advise.

That sounds like it will work fine to me. Its just there to prevent the cookbox from coming off the frame anyway.

On a different note, I was able to score another Gen Silver (2 burner version) as a donor for the frame and the side table. This donor is in better condition than the 3 burner. I just need to make time to continue my restore. This good spring weather forced my hand to becoming a landscaper. I'm hoping to make more progress before July 4th hits! I need to order that rust inhibitor/encapsulator pronto.

There is nothing interchangeable between the 2 burner and the 3 burner models. So treat the 2 burner as a stand alone project not a donor

It is compatible from a frame perspective and thatís what I was interested in. As far as internals like the burners and controls I agree they are completely different.

They are not even compatible as far as the frame either. The frame dimensions are much smaller to accommodate the smaller fire box

Larry is correct. The two burner frames are not as wide or long as a three burner. Very few of the critical parts are exchangeable between the two types of grills.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

I stand corrected! It is indeed narrower and shorter. Looks like I have two restores ahead of me instead of one!

Yah, that is how it goes. Pretty soon you will have 9 grills jammed into your garage.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Dissolve firebox bolt with alum solution?

Hello all! First post here. I picked up a free* Genesis Silver B a few days ago and have been immersed in TVWBB since.

I'm not doing a complete restoration but I'm in the process of getting my new to me grill clean and serviceable.

I have the firebox bolt problem, same as everyone else. My question is has anyone tried dissolving the stub of the bolt with alum? I'm thinking about setting the firebox on end and siliconing an aluminum can over the bolt then filling with a saturated alum solution and letting it sit.

*I'm not so sure free is the best approach given the number of problems I have to fix. Paying $100 for a grill in better shape might have been a better approach. The frame is in poor condition and needs repairs to the Frame Connectors and to the Right Frame which needs the tabs welded as they ripped off after the frame connectors rusted out. The crossover tube had a hole in it and the catch pan and holder were also missing. I'm trying to get this thing going for minimum dollars but I'm strongly feeling the pull of RCplanebuyer's cooking grates and flavorizer bars.

Here she is in all her original neglected glory. Can anyone tell the year and model number by looking at it? The label with the model number is unreadable.

Last edited by Mikey B.; 06-13-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast