1986 Weber Gen 3-BLACK *RESTORED*

MarkSiebel

TVWBB Fan
Living in sunny/dry AZ I'm very fortunate to come across these VINTAGE 80's Weber Gen LP grills. This 1986 Gen 3 beauty I found on offerup for only $20. Of course, the owner never covered it and
did minimal maintenance. Luckily, the grill was solid with no real extreme/rust/structural damage. I treated all rust patches, all 1" frame supports solid, and the hood is 99% PERFECT (minus (2) 1/4" unseeable small scratches.) I used red wood "batch/dog ear" wood (even though the original Gen grills 85-92 mainly used cedar.) This is the cheaper/unfinished/untreated wood used for fences. I pay only $2 per 6'. MORE labor and wood inconsistencies, BUT more unique final colors. This grill will stay in my personal collection due to its age and extinct parts ie. metal swing table end bracket, black control knobs, 4 prong catch pan holder, tank scale gauge, and side burner.

Last edited:
Mark,

What a pearl! Wood is very beautiful.

Sometime you need to assemble your collection and take a group shot. They call me the museum collector person, but I think you have that locked:coolkettle:.

That rig is "dope"! Make sure you paint the tiny kettle red, get a good cover, and have fun! Thanks for sharing.

Nice. I don't think I've ever seen a tank scale like that one.

They appeared for only a short time on the very first Genesis grills (1-5). They were soon replaced with the simpler "dog-leg" pointer and having a gauge label put right on the frame. I imagine this was to streamline manufacturing eliminating a part and assembly time.

Excellent work Mark, and a fairly rare grill at this point.
I will 2nd the vote to see pics of your collection.

Nice work Mark it looks perfect. I'm going to be restoring the 85 Gen 2 I picked up in Gilbert a month or so ago. I have to replace the wood as it was changed out to 1x6 redwood. If I can find it I will be using cedar which was the original wood but I can't find what type of stain/sealer they used.
Couldn't believe I got that out of your backyard before you snagged it.:cool: A 264 mile round trip but worth it.

Last edited:
You guys amaze me by your talent and perseverance in turning these grills into beautiful gems. Excellent job!

Nice work Mark it looks perfect. I'm going to be restoring the 85 Gen 2 I picked up in Gilbert a month or so ago. I have to replace the wood as it was changed out to 1x6 redwood. If I can find it I will be using cedar which was the original wood but I can't find what type of stain/sealer they used.
Couldn't believe I got that out of your backyard before you snagged it.:cool: A 264 mile round trip but worth it.

Rich,

He has so many that he has to share sometimes:smilekettle:!

Looks really nice! Love those old Genesis grills. I've got the same side burner that came with one of mine, but I found that I never use it and I converted it to another side table. That old fuel gauge looks to be in great shape for it's age! I'm still deciding what to do with my fuel gauges because they are in much worse shape than yours. I see you changed the handle, was yours beyond repair?

Gerry

>> nice find!! what hood color? and..you can find the 3.5" X 6' cedar planks at Home Depot!! it will be the dog ear cedar....$2 per 6'. and is 85' stamped on inside hood? if yes, you have a 1st year Gen 2!!! SWEEEEETT!!!!

Looks really nice! Love those old Genesis grills. I've got the same side burner that came with one of mine, but I found that I never use it and I converted it to another side table. That old fuel gauge looks to be in great shape for it's age! I'm still deciding what to do with my fuel gauges because they are in much worse shape than yours. I see you changed the handle, was yours beyond repair?

Gerry

>> good eye....no...original survivor handle was in great shape (i saved it of course) I just opted to use SAME color wood for whole restore. I'm generally a weber purist, and TRY keeping all restores as close to original as possible, but, for this one I did swap handles and wood to red wood. Cedar was used in the 80.s on the originals...pic here:

>> nice find!! what hood color? and..you can find the 3.5" X 6' cedar planks at Home Depot!! it will be the dog ear cedar....$2 per 6'. and is 85' stamped on inside hood? if yes, you have a 1st year Gen 2!!! SWEEEEETT!!!!

Mark, I lucked out on this one all it really needs is the wood replaced and a little cleaning. The scale is pretty ruff but savable.

Here's a link I put up when I got it.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76855-Genesis-2-is-Now-Home

I see the serial number sticker on the back side of the tank support. I'm curious if you can post the serial number.
(To the nearest hundred if you prefer)
It's definitely very early. I think you used newer hardware on the swing up table where the strut rod attached, as did I on my rehabs.
Was the swing up table that short as bought? Both of mine were 19" long.

Gerry

Mark, I lucked out on this one all it really needs is the wood replaced and a little cleaning. The scale is pretty ruff but savable.

Here's a link I put up when I got it.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76855-Genesis-2-is-Now-Home

If you look closely at the one Rich picked up, it has a control panel that appears to be maybe even OLDER than the "very early" ones we have seen - for example like on the one MarkSiebel has posted here. Rich's is especially plain and doesn't have the little connecting stripe between the igniter switch and the front burner. (Looks like the original Weber ad above has one like this too.) I am guessing his was part of the very earliest production batch. Two very cool grills in, of course, RUST FREE Arizona:cool:!

I see the serial number sticker on the back side of the tank support. I'm curious if you can post the serial number.
(To the nearest hundred if you prefer)
It's definitely very early. I think you used newer hardware on the swing up table where the strut rod attached, as did I on my rehabs.
Was the swing up table that short as bought? Both of mine were 19" long.

Gerry

>> here is pic. of serial # and end table metal support bracket..is this the hardware you're referring to? this is actually a original bracket...rare, no longer made....pic. also attached. and, I know this grill is a 86. pic. posted in 1st post and 86' stamp on hood and grill box. I'm no expert at knowing via serial # what # in production I have? let me know if you can tell? re: swing table length? hummm...I've never seen a side table slat over 15.25"...even though all my early Gen.s have had NO swing table slats when i got them..so I can not confirm or deny? maybe>> Jon Tofte << has some early pics to validate? if they are 19"L, it would have them parallel to the bottom frame post support fyi......

That end bracket s the same as mine, and correct for those old ones as far as I can determine. I was wondering about the hardware that holds the strut rod to the flip up table. The early ones like ours were attached to only one of the slats on the table. It was a poor design. There is a good pic of it in the thread I started (the one where I had welded stainless frames made). I would provide the link, but I'm on my phone right now, and it's not easy for me to do right now

Back