Stainless Steel Weber Performer options

Bozack J

Hey all,

figured I'd reach out here as I am contemplating options.....

I have been using a Weber Stainless Steel Performer for about the past fifteen years, on the whole things have gone well with it though as it aged starting got more challenging but overall nothing major. I replaced the grates once, as well as the charcoal baskets and for a while had the rotisserie but since sold it as I never used it.

I always used briquettes in it however last season I decided to try lump in it, and then at the end found some major mold issues inside the grill....I cleaned it out but just got sick of dealing with the cleaning process and the challenges with starting that I went to the store and bought a Genesis II SE which I haven't taken delivery on yet.

I was going to just sell the performer for $80 if I could get it, and had it up locally for a lot of interest, but decided to clean it again and sure enough it started up.....

Now I am wondering should I keep it? I have read that the 5lb tanks are expensive to replace, and I am pretty sure mine won't be fillable any more due to age....plus I almost think the ignition system needs to be replaced and I don't know if they even make it any more, as well as it needs a new cover....I figure all of that would cost about as much as a new performer.

Part of me just wants to run with the Genesis as it looks far simpler from an upkeep perspective with the stainless grates and no lava rocks..

My extended family tough is all beating the you'll miss out going to a gas grill drum.....I am used to charcoal but some aspects of gas seem more appealing.

Any thoughts appreciated

Causes for hard to light charcoal.
1 dirty flame tube, bugs reduce gas flow, use wire and then blow out debris.
2 bad ignitor pull out ignitor wire and check for spark, if weak looking clean the tip with sandpaper, then try again,if still bad replace.
3 moist charcoal leaving bag open in humid mosit environment.

Gas grills still need to be cleaned, and the igniters go out after awhile.
Charcoal grill only needs a chimney and a starting media, like Weber cubes.:)

Tim

I have a newer performer with gas ignition. I almost never use the ignition. I use lighter cubes. Not that it isn’t handy or nice, but because I usually get busy and forget to shut it off and wasting gas. I could live without the ignition, but not without my performer.

I almost never used the starter on my Performer (thermoset table version). (I just use a propane blow torch which works similarly but allows you to spread the flame around.) I sold that Performer because I picked up a SSP that I keep hoping to restore but never get to it. Now I am losing interest in it because while I like the stainless table, it is kind of big and bulky (though built well, like a classic Genesis). Also, cover options and the five gallon tank issue are, to me, serious negatives for these grills.

I have since gotten an older Platinum One Touch with the two oval Thermoset side tables. I love the setup even though apparently not many people did since it was quickly discontinued. The two tables are enough for me to deal with food and still set up a Smoke hub, and the overall package is much more compact and lighter to move around. If I ever get another kettle, it will be the newer Platinum One Touch with the fold-down metal side table. IT is also compact, and covers are easy to find. I have a line on a well-used one on CL right now, but it is a ways from me and I am still doing taxes:p...

Last edited:
I love my SS performer! I spent way too many years fighting with various - & sonetmes messy - accelerants, trying to get coals lit. Now, to have the luxury to go outside & basically push a button... (Better than) Sliced bread, baby!

From what I understand, you can get the 5 pound tank re-certified & continue getting it filled.
Good luck on your decision.

I bought mine before the “performer” had hit the market, no ignition system, thermoset table, no thermometer.
Basically, a 22 with a carriage. Ten years later after the lid being blown off and damaged, replacement obtained, then table being cracked and temporarily repaired (another five years) I fell into a great deal on an 18” maroon that simply waited in the garage until it was time to rebuild the table, a cabinetmaker friend helped me using some old Stroh’s brewery barrel staves, solid cypress 100+ years old! So, I guess you might say, I love my “Over Performer”!

I use the gas lite every time with my performer, bought it in 11 and plan to keep it for ever , kept under a cover the first 5 years of its life and now under the carport . I suspect I will wear out before it will

Keep it as it is a great grill. A charcoal chimney and Weber lighter cubes work well.

You could also get the best of both worlds and rehab an older Weber gasser like a 1000 or Silver B if you like doing that kind of stuff.

Back