26” kettle?

Lance L

TVWBB Fan
I’ve been grilling on a 22” kettle for years and love it. I always set it up 50% direct and 50% indirect for burgers. My problem is I need more capacity. I’m grilling 4 1/2lb burgers at a time but wanna be able to do 8 1/2lb burgers at a time.

My question is how much more useable capacity will I really gain by getting a 26” kettle?

Is this a math question? If it is, the answer is this: A 22" kettle has a surface area of about 380 sq. in. A 26" kettle has a surface area of about 530 sq. in., or about 40% more.

Jeff

I had a 26.75" kettle for several years...it's surprisingly LARGE when you assemble it!

Maybe you need a Ranch kettle. 37.5" grate = 1104 sq. in. or 190% more than your 22" kettle! Lots of 1/2 lb burgers! :ranchkettle:

Are you saying that half the grate surface only holds 4 burgers, or is it too early in the morning for me to read?

Is this a math question? If it is, the answer is this: A 22" kettle has a surface area of about 380 sq. in. A 26" kettle has a surface area of about 530 sq. in., or about 40% more.

Jeff

Yes and no. I suppose it’s a math question but not in terms of simple square inches.

I may just cut a 26” circle out of butcher paper and lay burgers on it while making patties this weekend.

Here’s the 22” grate on top of the 26”

mt9u5rE.jpg

Good size reference Tom.

Lance, I have a feeling that you are using baskets for your “Hot Zone”? If you do a simple split bottom fire you can easily get six to eight and still maintain a safe zone to transfer to when needed. That will buy you some extra space.

I'm no expert but I certainly agree with a two-zone config while doing burgers, yet I don't necessarily dedicate 1/2 my surface to the safe zone; I might give 1/4 or 1/3 area for this and simply stack burgers as needed. I don't understand the notion of not being able to get 8 burgers on a 22".

Good size reference Tom.

Lance, I have a feeling that you are using baskets for your “Hot Zone”? If you do a simple split bottom fire you can easily get six to eight and still maintain a safe zone to transfer to when needed. That will buy you some extra space.

Im using the slow-n-sear without the water pan as one large basket.

I'm no expert but I certainly agree with a two-zone config while doing burgers, yet I don't necessarily dedicate 1/2 my surface to the safe zone; I might give 1/4 or 1/3 area for this and simply stack burgers as needed. I don't understand the notion of not being able to get 8 burgers on a 22".

Well technically speaking the way I’m cooking I’d have to fit 16) 1/2lb burgers on a 22” grate..... Now a bigger hot zone and stacking the burgers in the safe zone is a great idea!

Im using the slow-n-sear without the water pan as one large basket.

Reverse the hot zone?
It’s easy to over engineer the whole project. As long as you have a cool spot I just don’t see the issue. Reverse the lay out, more hot quick which will give you a reasonable place to stack cooked burgers.
We are talking about burgers here not twenty filets! Think ahead, plan it and keep it fun!
You don’t NEED a bigger grill, just learn to use it to best advantage.
Now, if you WANT a bigger grill, that’s something else entirely!
I have cooked for twenty on a basic kettle so, I know it can be done.
I think Fletch and I are talking about the same concept.

Last edited:
I will say the idea of having a second grill to keep the burgers warm is what I do. I use my jumbo joe with a small amount of coals just to keep the stacked burgers warm. I cook them on the performer and just add the burgers to the JJ when done. When they all are cooked I spread the coals from the performer out and toast the buns. No need for an expensive 26.

Back