3rd cook getting better

MikeT1

After fighting temperature with my first two cooks. I found a big leak by the charcoal bowl. Weber replaced the middle section. Temp control was night and day. The smoker with a full water pan and lighting 15 coals over a full ring of unlit the temp settled at 235 for a couple hours. Never went above 260 or below 225. I did a 5.5 pound pork butt. It took 7 hours. The fire was stable for 6 hours. I added about 20 unlit coals through the door left for an hour came back temp was recovered to 250 from 225. Butt was done let cooker run another 45 minutes then temp dropped again.

I kept shaking the smoker every couple hours to try and keep ash down. At some point I'm going to want to do a longer cook. Is it common to have to add coals after 6 hours. If so is it better to add lit or unlit coals through the door? I don't want to have to break the whole thing down and start the fire over again.

Thanks

I just did 2 butts 2 weekends ago on my 18 WSM. Filled the basket and did half a chimney to start the minion method. I love how steady that thing runs. Mine likes to sit around 260 with 2 vents 1/4 and one 1/8 open on the bottom. If i choke it down it will hold 225 forever. I like to run hotter for butts i find the fat renders better. Glad you are having fun it really satisfying when you get it down pat.

After fighting temperature with my first two cooks. I found a big leak by the charcoal bowl. Weber replaced the middle section. Temp control was night and day. The smoker with a full water pan and lighting 15 coals over a full ring of unlit the temp settled at 235 for a couple hours. Never went above 260 or below 225. I did a 5.5 pound pork butt. It took 7 hours. The fire was stable for 6 hours. I added about 20 unlit coals through the door left for an hour came back temp was recovered to 250 from 225. Butt was done let cooker run another 45 minutes then temp dropped again.

I kept shaking the smoker every couple hours to try and keep ash down. At some point I'm going to want to do a longer cook. Is it common to have to add coals after 6 hours. If so is it better to add lit or unlit coals through the door? I don't want to have to break the whole thing down and start the fire over again.

Thanks

If you fill it up, to overflowing heap, it can run 12 hrs or so at 225-250. Less if hotter.

You will have to address ash after about 7 hrs. Collapse of coal bed also can cause fluctuations

Dont hesitate to take shell off bottom to add more coals. Its ez, ezier tthan thru door! Doesnt upset it bad. Another reason not to have water....

Now, best thing....extend your coal ring. A little expanded metal is all it takes. Lasts longer, stable longer, easier to fill too. No spilling over edge. Level, i can go 20+ hrs. And ash not big deal for 10-11, instead of 7. Never need to add coals again. Expanded metal is $10 at home depot. Need grinder to cut it to width, then can fasten with screws to make long strip/ring. Can buy grinder at harbor freight for $12 if dont have one too. No reason to buy a larger ring for $50. You may want to use clay base instead of water pan for max clearance

IMG_20181229_172258572.jpg

Last edited:
If you fill it up, to overflowing heap, it can run 12 hrs or so at 225-250. Less if hotter.

You will have to address ash after about 7 hrs. Collapse of coal bed also can cause fluctuations

Dont hesitate to take shell off bottom to add more coals. Its ez, ezier tthan thru door! Doesnt upset it bad. Another reason not to have water....

Now, best thing....extend your coal ring. A little expanded metal is all it takes. Lasts longer, stable longer, easier to fill too. No spilling over edge. Level, i can go 20+ hrs. And ash not big deal for 10-11, instead of 7. Never need to add coals again. Expanded metal is $10 at home depot. Need grinder to cut it to width, then can fasten with screws to make long strip/ring. Can buy grinder at harbor freight for $12 if dont have one too. No reason to buy a larger ring for $50. You may want to use clay base instead of water pan for max clearance

IMG_20181229_172258572.jpg

Few questions:

How much longer burn time can you expect without water in the pan?

Does not look like much charcoal can be added above the ring with the pan in?

When adding coals after 6 hours should add unlit or lit?

Thanks

Few questions:

How much longer burn time can you expect without water in the pan?

Does not look like much charcoal can be added above the ring with the pan in?

When adding coals after 6 hours should add unlit or lit?

Thanks

I never used water in my wsm, so I really can't tell you that.....for sure the coals will last somewhat longer without water in there. Most beef, pork, turkey I cook is 250 to 275. And chicken is 350.

Yeah you have to use a shallower pan or most today wi'll use the clay bottom from 14 inch planter in order to get a heaping pile of charcoal in there. people used to use a a shallower brinkmann pan but they don't make it anymore.

It's okay to add unlit coals if you're not having temperature issues. Imo. When it gets fairly late in the game sometimes the temperature start struggling, and then yeah add lit coals. It will go from being squirrely and bouncing from cool to too hot, to rock steady like it's supposed to be for several more hours

Last edited:

Back