Forgive me as I have sinned

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
After 20+ years using the WSM I decided to try out the Masterbuilt 40" Electric smoker. I do like new toys. Had numerous problems with temp and pellets. Finally told myself after this weekends cook, what are you doing? You have 2 WSM's that work great. The smoke from using pellets is just not the same and missing the smoke ring stinks also. Food just does not look right! So I am back on track now and going back to the WSM. Still use the electric for cold smoking.

A temporary lapse in judgement happens, don’t beat yourself up.
Smoke two butts and five racks of ribs as your penance.

They sure do look purty with the added wi-fi or bluetooth.
Both of those are above my level of comfort so my Son's bought the propane version, which you can still use charcoal on.
I like the cabinet style and multiple racks and use it primarily for wild game jerky.

Tim

I put a lot of hours into this. I finally figured out the temp problems where do to air flow. I put tile on top right rack to force air to other side of smoker and fixed temps. I was using a pellet tray for smoke and mailbox mod. Had heck of time with mailbox. Finally figured had bad pellets. After starting to get it figured out just not happy with the quality of product. Ribs not much smoke flavor and just bland looking. I going to use it now mainly for cold smoking and outside oven. You just cant beat a WSM for ease of use and quality of meat!

My mother's husband has one of those and would cook ribs on it. He couldn't get it work right because he though he was setting a finishing temp for the ribs instead of the temp of the smoker. You haven't lived until you've tried to chew boar ribs cooked to 165 or whatever he was trying to do. I probably have trichinosis now.

My mother's husband has one of those and would cook ribs on it. He couldn't get it work right because he though he was setting a finishing temp for the ribs instead of the temp of the smoker. You haven't lived until you've tried to chew boar ribs cooked to 165 or whatever he was trying to do. I probably have trichinosis now.

LOL and it tels me message too short

My other bil (the one who doesn't Q) has the Masterbuilt. He can't even use a charcoal grill but he puts out some pretty good Q with it. It has its uses.

Back