OK, I’m a convert!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Only one batch of wings using the Vortex and, I see the advantage! Whoosh, that thing throws heat! Far superior to my “Faux-Tex”, I didn’t have the scorching hot handle that some of you have mentioned but, I wonder if that’s due to the cypress handle I had made?
Simple “Kickin’ Chicken” rub, chunk of cherry and a load of KBB, delightful!
This weekend... Thighs, drumsticks and some sausages will be the proteins, don’t know what else!
Thanks for the suggestion for the equipment purchase!

Good to hear.
My real deal Vortex came yesterday to replace my dog dish one.
It's taller, and has a wider bottom opening, so it should do much better.
I got the small one for my 22" and the size looks perfect to me.

I took “Owens” advice and got the medium for the 22” I think the small might have been big enough. I think it’s going to be a fun tool!

Way to go, Timothy! The Vortex has never failed me on wings, but I have yet to use it to sear a steak.

Glad you like it, the vortex does make a big difference.I have the medium for my performer and used it last night to do a new kettle fried chicken recipe with some thighs that came out great. I posted it in photo gallery.

I tried to post this earlier but got interrupted. So, if it turns up elsewhere, that's why:eek:.

I am a Vortex fan. Comments about "which size" for our 22" Kettles sometimes fail to take into account that we sometimes have different needs than our friends on here.

I chose the Medium for my Performer and it is the perfect size for ME. See, I use the Vortex for chicken parts a LOT. It is my chosen tool for this purpose. However, I also have needs for the searing function.

Keep in mind, that you choice, whichever it is, will be a compromise. The small gives you more real estate for chicken parts but at the cost of less area for searing. For me, the medium is MY choice.

At any rate, Timothy, we are MOST happy to have you "join the crowd". I couldn't be more happier with my Vortex.

We did a batch of chicken wings this week (Weber's "Kick'n Chicken" rub with Apricot Preserves, Honey, and Chipotle in Adobe finishing sauce). Only WONDERFUL!!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Glad you like it, the vortex does make a big difference.I have the medium for my performer and used it last night to do a new kettle fried chicken recipe with some thighs that came out great. I posted it in photo gallery.

Ok, after looking at your post I'm a believer and will order one soon.
I did some KFC last weekend ( indirect and direct) and no way did it look as good as yours.
Thanks for the nudge.
PS, I'm with Clint, is ordering directly from Owens the best way or is there a TVWBB friendly link available?

Tim

I own a Vortex and I use it, its a nice tool. Even though I've always been skeptical about it increasing the heat around the outside edges of the grate.

And I'm still skeptical, except I'm beginning to think there may be something to it creating more air flow and thus more convection inside the kettle. With it drawing air from the bottom and shooting out to the dome and then circulating inside the Kettle. Central Texas brisket people, think air flow is important to forming bark, so why would it not help chicken ?

Just out of curiosity, I’ve got the faux-tex and have had nothing but compliments on my wings, how is the real thing better? My dog bowls have served me far beyond my expectations, as I have been able to master this cooking method with a very minimal expense. But if the real Vortex is truly better, I do t want to limit myself with the dog bowl faux-tex.
Thanks,
Tim

Just out of curiosity, I’ve got the faux-tex and have had nothing but compliments on my wings, how is the real thing better? My dog bowls have served me far beyond my expectations, as I have been able to master this cooking method with a very minimal expense. But if the real Vortex is truly better, I do t want to limit myself with the dog bowl faux-tex.
Thanks,
Tim

My faux-tex made from a WalMart stainless mixing bowl works great. It was $6.

Flank steak is in marinade for tonight, looking forward to a new experience!
I just wish my wife liked her steak as rare as I do, it would make life that much easier! Oh well, I’ll just do what needs to be done!

I don't always remember to do this, but I think it helps to cover the charcoal grate with foil, then cut out the area inside of the vortex. That will increase the draw through the vortex and also get most of the drippings.

The only time I had an issue with the Vortex and drippings was when I was cooking wings and ABT's. Bacon drippings around the Vortex can cause an impressive little fire.

Back