Kronski's and home made kraut.

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Every year my mother in law gives us boys a supply of Kronski's hickory smoked kielbasa. These come from her home town of Rock Springs Wyoming, Boschetto's European Market.

So good it makes it hard for me to make kielbasa homemade. They have good flavor and the casing always has a great snap.

My favorite way to have them is grilled and served with my homemade sauerkraut, with Walla Walla sweet onions and apples sautéed in butter and beer. Well we didn't have an apple in the house so for this batch it was just sautéed Walla Walla sweet onion.

Grilled the Kronski's on one of the SMJ's with KBB.

47535376571_c0bcfb9148_c.jpg

46811679474_573027f967_c.jpg

47535378941_7580d7ef62_c.jpg

Looks delicious Case. Love to try a couple of those.

Cliff you can order them online from Boschetto's. They aren't cheap, but well worth it. They have two sizes small and large. These are the smalls. I think they use sheep casings for the smalls, hence the good snap.

That all sounds & looks delicious. I've considered making the sauerkraut and have the stuff to do it....... my grandma told me about my uncles making it....I wasn't as much of a fan of SK when she first told me about it, but now I am

That all sounds & looks delicious. I've considered making the sauerkraut and have the stuff to do it....... my grandma told me about my uncles making it....I wasn't as much of a fan of SK when she first told me about it, but now I am

I use a simple 2.1% salt to cabbage ratio. Shred cabbage then weigh it using a gram scale. Multiply cabbage weight by 0.021. Mix salt with cabbage in a large tub. I use a meat lug. Then smash the snot out of it. I use a 3 pound sledge hammer wrapped in plastic and ziplocks.

Then into the crock for 3-4 week ferment. No peaking! I place 3-4 full cabbage leaves on top and then place in the weight. Put the lid on then add water to the rim. Then all you need to do is maintain temps around 70f. You can drop as low as 60, but 70 is ideal. Once the main fermentation is complete I put it in sterile mason jars with lids, store in the fridge.

I have a jar from two years ago that I keep tasting every month. It just keeps getting better. It has maybe twelve more spoon fulls in it.

One could pressure can it after the initial ferment. I don’t care to do that as it changes the texture.

Looks really good case, I'm really not supposed to have things like that because of the high sodium...But once in awhile I'll sneak a little bit into the diet.

Case, I like your answer to Rich. I love Kielbasa and with Walla Walla onions outstanding. You know you can always send some this way if you have to much.:D

Back