Q grates dish washer safe?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
Does anyone know if the Q grates are dish washer safe? Since the grates of the Q1200 are so small I wonder if I could just stick them in the dish washer now and then. The manual does not provide any information here if it can be done or should not be done.

Thx
Stefan

I don't think it will hurt them. But I would imagine it would take off the seasoning. I suppose it would be like a cast iron skillet. After washed if they were quickly dried and oiled it would be the same thing.

yah, I can't think of a reason it would hurt them as long as they are in reasonable condition to start with. If they have a lot of the ceramic coating stripped from them, they may wind up with surface rust on those spots.

Mine are small enough to soak in the sink - which I do often, but it takes a metal scouring pad to remove the crud.

Thanks guys. I was just thinking about that since they are porcelain coated. I would never do this with bare cast iron grates or my dutch ovens.

If the porcelain coating is intact, why the need for seasoning?

I haven't seasoned mine yet, although there seems to be a slight oily coating present.

Even porcelain needs seasoning. Go and buy a LeCruset pan and you will find seasoning instructions with it

Even porcelain needs seasoning. Go and buy a LeCruset pan and you will find seasoning instructions with it

Hmm maybe that is the reason why our large LeCreuset pot has become so sticky at the bottom and stuff just burns on all the time. I guess I need to do some research. I really did not know that they require seasoning.

Charbroil says just the opposite concerning their porcelain coated grills. However, I read information at other sites to back up your claim. It's a mixed bag I guess.

I stopped up the float in mine and it tripped the temp limit, had to pull the unit out because I couldn't feel the reset button, it cleaned but not like you would like lol

Charbroil says just the opposite concerning their porcelain coated grills. However, I read information at other sites to back up your claim. It's a mixed bag I guess.

Not a "claim". If you've bought any LeCruset cookware you would know. Very expensive stuff but really nice stuff. Anyway after initial washing, the included instructions indicated it should have milk simmered in it to "season" the enamel. An instruction we followed and other than a little slight discoloration after over 30 years of use it still functions beautifully. Oddly though, they don't mention it for the newer line of cookware. Maybe they have a newer process of doing the enamel?

Back