Help: Valve Replacement Summit Charcoal

Mark Wilkerson

I have a Summit Charcoal Grill (not the grilling station) and the regulator on the gas assist went bad after about 6 months. I called Weber and they promptly sent a new one.

On paper replacing it looked to be simple however nothing could be further from the truth. There is simply not enough room inside the box for two hands and a small 1/4” wrench. I will spare you the details but after contacting Weber twice I have been unsuccessful in locating anyone there who could even find the documentation of how to perform the replacement.

Provided in the hardware were the screws with wing nuts for securing the hinge which would imply removing the lid and the bowl, but the directions didn’t show doing that.

My question: Has anyone here had to replace their regulator? If so how did you do it? Did you take the grill apart or just use miniature screwdrivers or some sort or special tools?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Mark: I'm surprised nobody else has responded. I don't have one of these, but I found a schematic on the Weber site for it. Is this your grill in the link: https://875726a9e7c5ae455218-c9ea439bc3c8107a715695dc84896d67.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/44086.pdf ? I have a hunch you are going to have to remove the kettle to unbolt the box from the grill frame. Should be 3 (#9) bolts going from inside the frame out into the igniter box. Not sure if you could finesse the kettle enough to get to the bolts without removing it. If not, I'm pretty sure that you will have to take the lid off first so you can wrestle with getting the kettle out of the frame. Make sure to disconnect the igniter wires from the box before taking it off the frame (#12). That probably means you will also have to remove the clip off the nozzle (#13) that holds the burner in place. Hopefully then you can change out the defective regulator. And reassemble like in the diagram.

Last edited:

Back