Gold B with stainless lid

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
What is the best way to rehab the lid on a stainless Gold B grill? Or maybe it is a "C" with the extra table on the right.
But anyway, it is in dire need of a cleaning, both inside and out. The inside has the liner and it looks to be in good shape aside from being badly gunked up. I know some people have simply ripped the liners out, but then I hear that leads to discoloring on the outside of the hood. I hope to start work on it in a week or two and want to know how best to get started when I do.

Bruce,

Those liners are about impossible to get looking really nice. So you have to live with that they aren't going to sparkle or remove them. They do help on keeping heat from affecting the stainless but they also help prevent the carbon build-up that comes off in sheets like paint. That is why I think you are now seeing them on even porcelain hood grills.

For the outside, if Simple Green won't do the trick then stepping up to Dawn/Sams stuff would be my step two. If that doesn't do it, then I have personally had some success with Barkeepers Friend. I know Larry doesn't agree. I guess it just depends on the user. This stuff can scratch your stainless so you want to use something non-metal like a Scotch-Brite pad and be sure to clean with the grain so whatever scratches you add will look like they are part of it. You probably already know that, though. I have also heard white vinegar being recommended. Stainless is anything but "stain" - less! It can be hard to make it look almost new again, especially the lower grade stainless that Weber chose to use in a lot of applications.

Alright Jon, I think I will just be cleaning it up inside as best I can and leaving the liner. I will use the Scotch green scratchy on the outside with some Simple green or the Sams Club oven and grill cleaner. Maybe start with the oven grill cleaner.

Am I going to regret trying to rehab a Gold?

Am I going to regret trying to rehab a Gold?

Bruce,

I don't think so at all. They are really nice grills. They look nice in their own more modern way but still very much like a Weber. When the stainless hood and thermoset tables are both clean and the frame, firebox and side caps are a nice jet black they look extra sharp. Oh, don't forget the red kettle:coolkettle:! Really, not any different than a Silver other than the hood as far as restoring goes. I suppose the gotcha is if the inside of the hood is so trashed you can't stand it. I saw how another member posted how he ditched the inner lining and then wrapped the stainless hood around a regular hood to provide a black porcelain inside while keeping the outside stainless. Extremely cool for a keeper, but way too much work for a practical flip. I would probably go with just removing the liner if I had to.

I saw how another member posted how he ditched the inner lining and then wrapped the stainless hood around a regular hood to provide a black porcelain inside while keeping the outside stainless. Extremely cool for a keeper, but way too much work for a practical flip. I would probably go with just removing the liner if I had to.

That was me - thread is here:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76743-LarryS-Genesis-Platinum-C-resto-mod-thread

Hood wrapping starts at post #70

Sams grill cleaner works wonders. If you have some really
tough areas, make a paste with vinegar and baking soda. It works well to
scrub IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS THE GRAIN.

I will be trying those two methods Dave as soon as I can get back to my grills.

If the inner liner is not badly or completely rusted out I leave it. I clean it as good as possible and scrub off any rust and then I just put on a thin coat of veggie oil. This gives the dull liner a bit of a shine and prevents any cleaned rust spots to turn brown again immediately. But agreed most of the time the inner liner looks ugly no matter how much you try to clean it. Without the liner it just looks so much nicer. But long term it will probably turn brown on the outside.

Sams grill cleaner works wonders. If you have some really
tough areas, make a paste with vinegar and baking soda. It works well to
scrub IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS THE GRAIN.

Mr. Dave this stuff sounds awesome but I read the following (https://www.samsclub.com/sams/oven-fryer-grill-cln-3-x-32-ounce/prod9260461.ip):

What Surfaces Is This Grill Cleaner Recommended For?
The Member's Mark Commercial Oven, Grill and Fryer Cleaner by Ecolab is recommended for most surfaces in today's commercial kitchens. It can be used on most hard metal surfaces, as long as they are not painted. This includes steel and stainless steel. However, it is not for use on soft metals, such as aluminum. It is also not for use in residential kitchens.

So my question for you is that have you noticed any issues with it being to aggressive on the firebox and does this stuff nuke paint, plastics, wiring, or hoses? What is your procedure on using this stuff?

I have used it (sams grill cleaner) on 3 grill boxes this year and it does a great job cutting the cried but it doesn't harm the aluminum or the paint on the outside of the firebox.

I have used it (sams grill cleaner) on 3 grill boxes this year and it does a great job cutting the cried but it doesn't harm the aluminum or the paint on the outside of the firebox.

Ditto for me. It IS a strong alkali, and I did do a pretty good job of burning the skin on my legs with it. So, caution is warranted, but so far I have not seen it damage aluminum or even thermoset tables. A way better bargain than the Dawn stuff (which is also great). Dave in KC did a great comparison of the two products that sold me on the Sams product.

Sorry to hear Jon. EVERYONE ELSE ..... BE WARNED!! SAMS CLEANER WILL BURN YOUR SKIN!!!

I keep waiting for Sams to triple the price of that stuff.
3 bottles for under $10 is a steal.

Back