2003 18" WSM grates

Duane Riggs

I have a 2003 WSM and while I have tried to take care of it the best I can I need all 3 grates. The top cooking grate works but the lower cooking grate has been gone for a few years. The charcoal grate is to the point I am afraid to touch it. Every thing else is OK including the Brinkman water pan.

I looked at the pre 2009 schematics for the part numbers of the grates and called Weber. The part numbers they gave me were of newer models.

It has been too many years but I thought after the redesign 1 or more of the newer grates would not work with my generation of cooker?

I searched for an answer but I did not find a clear answer in rebuilding pre 2009 WSM with newer parts.

Can someone out there help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The general size hasn't changed so the newer ones will fit.
Top grate is the same for all 18.5" kettles.
Middle grate is the same size as a charcoal grate for a 22.5" kettle (but is nickel plated) Both of those you can buy from HD but the charcoal grate is a odd size.
If that was at least a little salvageable you could buy a charcoal grate for a 18.5" kettle and lay that on top.

Tim

Like Timothy says, you can pick up that top grate anywhere Weber accessories are sold, it's the same for all 18.5" Weber charcoal grills.

The last time I ordered the lower grate without handles direct from Weber, it cost something ridiculous like $38. But the newer version of the lower cooking grate with handles should fit your 2003 WSM just fine.

You will have to order both the lower cooking grate and charcoal grate from Weber. They charge a flat $9 for FedEx Ground shipping regardless of order amount. You might even just go ahead and order all three grates at once and be done with it.

Good luck!
Chris

I have a ~2009 (updated model) 18" and had some real problems finding a lower grate. Weber no longer had them available period. They weren't sold at home depot or my local hardware stores. Yes you can use a kettle charcoal grate but those aren't plated. This was about a year ago. For awhile I used a modified 'upper' grated by cutting some slots in it.

I ended up ordering a solid stainless one from 'onlyfire' on amazon for $25. Pretty happy with it.

Back