Natural Gas to LP

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
Got a Genesis S 330 Natural Gas in good shape for $100.
Need to convert to LP.
Looks like 2 options, replace oriface & add regulator
Or replace manifold which included LP oriface for main burners
Cost difference about $40
Recommendations

If the cost difference is only $40 than either you're getting the manifold dirt cheap or being ripped off on the orifices. Orifices should only run about $5 ea and a manifold complete is about $150. Not sure if perhaps it's a new math thing but the diff is A LOT more than $40 LOL

John:
Check out another thread about doing this to an E-320. Personally, I'd go the manifold/regulator route rather than mess around with orifices and not having the grill run to Weber specs. That's cheaper, but it isn't 100%

Yah, I'd go the manifold route if it's only a $40 difference. That does seem strange though because as LM said, orifices should be really cheap and manifolds usually start at $100+.

Yah, I agree with Sam. Go with the new manifold. Better yet, find a used one.

But, like Larry said, new orifices and regulator should not cost anywhere near what a NEW propane manifold would cost.

Manifold for genesis 330 $81
Oriface $6 X 4 ( $15 drill fee) for LP
I’ve got several regulators around I can use

I am sure Larry can coach you through a much less expensive orifice swap, but if not, then I would look for a used one.

Don't forget to ADD in the price for the new hose, regulator and most important NEW propane tank and fill up on the tank with propane.... it all adds up...!!!

Ok trial run .
With a little WD 40 was able to loosen screws to burners.
Able to access & remove oriface.
Thinking replacing oriface will be easy.
Two questions.
1)With a drill like LMichaels sent link to how easy to drill oriface hole?
2) The video I saw suggested mounting propane tank outside of enclosed cabinet, is this necessary?

Don't forget to ADD in the price for the new hose, regulator and most important NEW propane tank and fill up on the tank with propane.... it all adds up...!!!
Between fish fryers , crawfish boilers & My older genesis LP I already have several tanks & both high & low pressure regulator

Found you tube video on hand drill of oriface.
Ordered hand drill kit from eBay $8.00 one not $212 one.
Looks like even I can do this .
Got all 5 oriface 3 main, sear burner , & side burner from grill repair . Com for $30 shipped was able to make sure of correct oriface ( different for side burner) from them.
Thanks to L. Michael & Kelvin !

Last edited:
Hey john, consider doing a "HOW TO" on your project. There have been several people wanting to do this modification over the past few years and having all the information in one place would be awesome.

Yes it's not very hard John. Hardest thing is finding the right part(s) and the proper index drills. Slow and easy plus go one or 2 sizes UNDER what you think and give the grill a try. Twist drills tend to leave a slightly larger hole so you can always open it up but you can't put metal back

Found you tube video on hand drill of orifice.
Ordered hand drill kit from eBay $8.00 one not $212 one.
Looks like even I can do this .
Got all 5 oriface 3 main, sear burner , & side burner from grill repair . Com for $30 shipped was able to make sure of correct orifice ( different for side burner) from them.
Thanks to L. Michael & Kelvin !

Couple of questions...

1) How were you able to determine the correct orifices Spuds...this is my hardest part of my conversion. (Weber E 320 Natural gas to Propane)
2) Did they give you the correct size of hole to drill into your Spuds. Because main burners are a different size hole then the side burner.
thanks

Hey john, consider doing a "HOW TO" on your project. There have been several people wanting to do this modification over the past few years and having all the information in one place would be awesome.
When finished & working I’ll post.

Back