Unable to get temperature above 250°

John McConnell

Yesterday I gave my brand new WSM 18.5" a dry run using just charcoal briquets. I used a weber rapidfire chimney with about 45 briquets to get the fire started. The thermometer rose to 250° within a half hour but that was it. I opened all the vents to maximum. I had no water in the smoker. I know that this is a good smoking temperature but I wanted to burn off any factory residue and may occasionally want higher temps anyway. Do you have any suggestions?

How full was your charcoal ring? Was it just the 45 briquettes?
If that was all you used, I would not find that out of the ordinary at all.
Fill it up and put on a butt or two and let the good times roll!

Yesterday I gave my brand new WSM 18.5" a dry run using just charcoal briquets. I used a weber rapidfire chimney with about 45 briquets to get the fire started. The thermometer rose to 250° within a half hour but that was it. I opened all the vents to maximum. I had no water in the smoker. I know that this is a good smoking temperature but I wanted to burn off any factory residue and may occasionally want higher temps anyway. Do you have any suggestions?
fill it up, light a full chimney and let it ash over, drop it in and stand back you'll probably go over 400. If you don't crack the lid like a quarter of an inch and then it should

One member suggested doing a dry run before smoking to get rid of the residue from the manufacturing process. Perhaps that is overkill.

I also have a new 18.5”, and last weekend I filled the ring almost full with Kingston, then put a 1/2 chimney of lit coals in the middle. With all vents open I hit 460*

Last edited:
It's maybe a good idea to do a dry run if you have no experience at all using a smoker, but typically you can cook right off the bat. I "seasoned" mine with 2 pork butts!

I have only just started using my WSM 22.5, made ribs and a 13lb turkey with great reviews from the diners. I have been obsessive about the temp, too. I would suggest the videos and suggestions on this web site.
I have had trouble getting the temp above 300 with the turkey (the site was saying to have it between 325 and 350). I used a full rapid chimney when the top layer of charcoal was no flame and about halfway to ash I poured them into the ring, then filled with charcoal over it, kept all the vents fully open, watched it for about 20 mins and the temp went up to 350. You may want to try that. Good luck

Back