Holy Grail in Huntley, IL

Nice. I have never seen one in real live. These types of grills never ever show up in my neighborhood. I would be all over that one.

I'd love to find 5000 and good or at least salvageable condition. I often look through the classifieds and I saw the first 5000 posted buy me and it was a rusty basket case.

Actually its a "Mauve-head." Weber called it mauve. The urge to hop in my SUV and go get it right now is extremely strong but I have a boatload of projects, and 175 is too steep for a flip IMO. And if I kept it I'd want LP, so there's even more parts to buy. DANG!

Larry, it's only 45 minutes away!

ejg1MTB.png

The only downside is that it's a natural gas. However I think I have enough laying around to convert it 2lp.

I was thinking more like 100 myself. Not familiar with how rare this model is but you cant flip for that asking price. Glass doors are kinda cool. If this thing was clean what would the price range be?

I would happily pay the asking price and own it already if it was closer.
It is close enough that I could make the drive and back, but I would either
need to take a day off work, or lose a day working on my current stock.
Neither is a good option.

I know I already posted this elsewhere but I'm going to add it to this thread because of the conversation.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/d/orangevale-weber-bbq-natural-gas-old/6854813555.html

That's the only 5,000 I've ever seen posted in my area. One of the doors is broken and without the doors it's not really a 5,000. I'm not sure but maybe the striping on the hood is also unique to the 5000. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Plus the frame looks bad. Especially on the rear behind the firebox.

I think the hood can be cleaned up pretty easily. Most of my rehabs look similar, but a little simple green or other cleaner and some #0000 steel wool will clean it up nicely.
Most of the rust on the frame looks like surface rust but where there is surface rust, there is probably some internal problems as well. Also, looking at the back panels on the cabinet, I see some significant rust around the screw holes and edges which might be unrepairable. Finding replacements might be cost prohibitive on that. The end caps can simply be stripped and repainted. If nothing else, the unique lid might be worth the $75. And you could sell the two remaining glass doors for parts as well. They are hard to find and commonly needed by people trying to bring these things back to life.

Back