Opinions on Smoke Hollow charcoal grill

JayHeyl

TVWBB Pro
On my trip to Costco today I noticed a Smoke Hollow charcoal grill.

imageService

The charcoal pan height is adjustable over at least a 6" range. The grates are cast iron, allegedly porcelain coated. The charcoal grate is a lesser metal but appears fairly beefy. The side tables are supposed to fold down, though I couldn't figure out how to do that on the floor model. Air flow is controlled by the two slotted inlets on the lower corners of the fire box. There are two short smoke stacks that have an unusual control mechanism. There are caps on the top of each stack but they're attached via bolts that are 3 or 4 inches long. You can raise and lower them by spinning the caps. I looked through the manual, which is mostly assembly instructions, and didn't find any mention of this feature but a couple minutes playing with it made the light bulb come on over my head.

What interests me most is the large cooking area and the possibility of building a practical three-level fire, which is something I would actually make use of if I had the ability. I've always found it awkward to make hamburgers and hot dogs at the same time because the hamburgers want high heat and the hot dogs are best over medium to low heat. (Or is that just because I have one fussy eater who won't touch a dog with any black on it at all?)

Overall the grill appears to be pretty sturdy. I suspect it would benefit from a seal of some kind between top and base, but otherwise it looks well sealed and solid.

Does anyone have any experience with this model or even this brand in general? I couldn't find this listed on the manufacturer's web site so either it's brand new or it's a Costco-only item. For $200 I'm very tempted to grab one but I've been bitten by poorly built grills before and don't want that to happen again.

I like the look of it and the price is right, build quality would be the determining factor. Do they have the santa maria grills there too?

An old friend had a horizontal drum grill I always liked the look of. I just searched that term and got a few similar options to what you're looking at.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dyna-Glo-X-Large-Heavy-Duty-Charcoal-Grill/23510826?

I also checked the hasty bake product line, their cheapest models are 4x & 5x the cost.

https://www.hastybake.com/collections/charcoal-grills

As I was reading your detail I was thinking about my Santa Maria Kettle attachment, which I friggin' LOVE!. You have enough experience that you can have a good sense of its value so, while I cannot answer your question directly, I suggest you give serious consideration to it just for the adjustable fuel bed alone.

I have never seen Santa Maria grills at Costco. Normally they have either very high end kit or lower priced stuff that, IMHO, is rather junky. That's partly why this stood out. It looked pretty decent and at a good price. And 65% more cooking area than the Weber kettle. I love the Weber but I must admit it can get quite crowded when the whole family is over for dinner.

Given it's made of mild steel throughout, with no porcelain it will likely become a rust bucket in 2 or 3 years, maybe less. I see grills like this out at the curb all the time

Given it's made of mild steel throughout, with no porcelain it will likely become a rust bucket in 2 or 3 years, maybe less. I see grills like this out at the curb all the time
That's my primary concern. The outside can be painted so that's not a big worry. The inside of the lid I can coat with grease. There's not much I can do with the inside of the fire box. Oil/grease will just burn off. The one saving grace may be that most of the fire box is not right next to the hot coals so maybe I could coat it with grease and not have a smokey mess.

If I wanted those features bad enough (i.e. adjustable fuel bed height), for $200 I'd bite on it and buy a Camp chef griddle holding pouch and store the grates indoors and just run it until rust took over the box or adjustment mechanism.

Jay, I bought a similar grill several years ago from Sams club and absolutely loved it!!! The thing was an absolute tank! If you keep the grill covered, I would think you’d enjoy MANY MANY YEARS of use from the grill. I think a lot of us have become rather snobbish and turn our noses up to what we now deem “inferior” grills if it doesn’t have a Weber logo or cost north of $400, I also think we haven’t payed attention to (or chosen to turn their head) the total nose dive Weber’s quality has taken in recent years on their charcoal grills. This grill isn’t meant to be an all stainless $700, show stopper. It’s a $200 workhorse with several good options, plenty of real estate. I loved mine, and sold it probably 10-12 years later for about &120. Keep it covered and I think you’d be very happy with it.
Good Luck,
Tim

Last edited:
I had 1 very similar and didn't keep it covered, lasted about 4 years before the bottom rusted out, if I bought another I would put me about 1-2" of rectorseal high temp mortar in the bottom and keep covered. I think it would last a lifetime then,done a lot of smoking in it keeping the fire to 1 side and shutting the air intake off on the other side and use the 1 on fire side to control temps

My Brother has/had two.
First one ( like Mike) he had uncovered and the bottom eventually rusted out. He cobbled a steel bottom to get him thru a few more seasons ( IO think he had it for 6 yrs)
Got a good deal on a new one and bought a cover, so he's happy. He loves the thing, says it's his outdoor oven, which he can grill and smoke on.

Tim

My Son-in-Law had one and it lasted for years under his carport uncovered and that's in Florida. He loved it.

I just looked at one of those in passing when I was in Costco yesterday, it looks much better in person, for the money, as a different unit, why not!? I’m out of room out back just now. And my wife would NOT approve!

I just looked at one of those in passing when I was in Costco yesterday, it looks much better in person, for the money, as a different unit, why not!? I’m out of room out back just now. And my wife would NOT approve!
Room is an issue for me as well. I have just a small patio, with a poorly placed rose bush far too close, so I'm not sure it would fit, and then I'd have to put the Weber kettle somewhere. I'm also not sure I can get it in the car, so I'd have to line up transportation just to get it home. I'll have to take a closer look at the dimensions of the box on my next trip.

What's the rose bush for?
It has sentimental value to someone. It's also about 75 years old. I've been lobbying to relocate it but I'm a bit reluctant because I'd never hear the end of it if it died.

As to the original question, it seems I should have jumped when I first saw it. All they had today was the floor model.

Back