An Unfortunate Turn Of Events

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
As I posted last month, I had shoulder surgery. My progress is great and I get to lose the sling this Friday!
I go to see the surgeon next week, and hopefully find out when I get to go back to work. The PA who took my stitches out a couple weeks ago said it might be 6 months before I'm cleared to go back to work because of the lifting I have to do. Batteries are very heavy!
But, the week after my surgery, I get a text from the boss, telling me that there is a company wide conference call and I might want to listen in. Ok, not doing much, might as well.
Long story short, the company I've worked at for over 20 years has sold the branch system, which is where I am, to another company. They'll still manufacture the batteries, but this new company will be the sole distributor of them across the states.
The transition was today, with almost everyone switching to the new company today. Some of the coordinators will transfer in 6 months when certain software licenses expire.
However, since I'm on disability right now, I did NOT make the switch!
They can't stop my disability, since it was started before the switch was announced.
However, technically, I'm unemployed! I'm still getting money from the disability people, but since it's not from them, I have no job! :eek:
I have been told that I'll have to reapply for my job when I'm released back to work. I understand that.
But, will my job still be there, or will the new company let the temp go and hire someone new?
And, will I keep my seniority, like everyone else, or will I have to start over as a new hire? :mad:
I'm trying not to freak out/panic/get too mad, but this isn't putting me in a great frame of mind, ya know?
I'll keep everyone updated on my situation.

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about it.
The old company DID tell me that if I don't get hired on, I'll get 2 weeks pay as a severance.
Yay?
I'm hopeful in the fact that most truck drivers do NOT want to work as hard as I have to to deliver the heavy, stinkin' things!

Man Phil, that absolutely sucks. In addition to the comment above regarding counsel, you might want to check in with the ADA folks, Americans With Disabilities Act. There are some pretty tough laws regarding treatment of people with disabilities. Hopefully you'll get some action during which time you can fully recover. Good luck to you Phil.

Fuuuuuddddddge.

giphy.gif

https://www.zen-buddhism.net/buddhist-principles/four-noble-truths.html

Jordan Peterson: Life is Suffering

Good Luck. Doesn't seem right: "since I'm on disability right now, I did NOT make the switch!"

Can you go in & talk to HR?

NC appears to be a right to work state same as UT. I don't know all the specs on it other than you can't be required to join a union.

https://www.nrtw.org/right-to-work-states-north-carolina/

Without the sale of the business, dropping you would seem highly illegal. Since the business is being sold they might not have to keep you even if it was an on-the-job injury / disability.

https://www.richardparker.com/retaining-key-employees

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...ployees-youve-sold-the-business/#1faa33a573ee

I'd visit a couple attorneys to get a feel, and most importantly, I think right away you should either pop in to see, or set an appointment (meet before Thursday) with Human Resources, your old boss, the new owner. This is a big deal - bring your best attitude and hopefully they remember how hard it is to find good help. Unemployment is low and wages are high.

hth.

wishing this was an April Fools joke.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Phil. At least being on disability will give you the time to research all your options. Wish you the very best.

I hope this works out for you Phil. It doesn't seem right that you would be punished for being hurt.

I feel bad that you're having to worry about this. I realize my offering advice is akin to writing an Amazon review on an item I haven't used--so forgive me--but my only food for thought would be to talk with the horse's mouth (aka the new owner) before taking some formal action. Sometimes, accurate detail gets jumbled along the way.

I talked to my old boss yesterday, who's still going to be my boss if I get hired on.
He's reaching out to the new company to see what my status will be with the new company, IE will my job be there and will I still have seniority or be a total new hire.
But, the transition to the new company was going less than spectacular! Company wide!
It seems that all the info about the new company was sent via the old companies e-mail.
Which they couldn't access yesterday, since they were working for the new company!
I'm glad that all that will be straightened out when and if I sign on!
I'm still optimistic.
I got a letter from the old company today stating that I will continue to get paid and have insurance through the length of my disability, so I got that going for me!

This sounds like the old “potato in the tailpipe” trick. The “check sphincter” light comes on when crap like this happens. I hope it all works out the way you want it.

Last edited:
Phil this is bad news but it would be great if your old boss had a light duty position that you could slide into while you are getting back up full speed. I would entertain all options you are a 20 year valued employee that counts for something.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!
I went to see the surgeon this morning. He said that I can transition out of the sling over the next 2 weeks! Yay!
My physical therapist told me last week that I can leave it off while home, but to put it one when I leave the house.
He's the surgeon, so he trumps her! :p
He also said that I can go back to work on June 10th, but no lifting over 10 pounds and no lifting over chest high.
Second one is fine, I don't do that anyway.
But, batteries are heavy! Even a cheap lawn mower battery is about 15 pounds!
So, I'm outta work until September 9th, when I lose all restrictions.
The old company said that I'll get disability until I can go back to full time.
And, so long as the new company offers me a fair wage, I'll go back.
If not, I'll find something else.
Gotta keep the positive outlook going!
I'm looking at this as training for retirement, which is about 4 years down the road!

So, I went to the shop to fax my doctor's note off to the disability people this morning and to talk to the gang. Apparently, all is not well with the new company!
It seems like they weren't ready for all the new employees and their time card program and driver logs crashed hard on the first! Some of the drivers weren't able to log in until Wednesday or Thursday! Their logs were going for DOT purposes, but for pay, not so much! Yikes!
And, the new company pays every other week, as opposed to getting paid every week before.
The first week was in the middle of the pay cycle, so everyone should have gotten a one week check the next week.
Except that they had problems clocking/logging in, so everyone's check was short! Not good!
And, to add insult to injury, they took 2 weeks worth of insurance out of a 1 week check!
A lot of the guys, and there's only 4 of them not including the temp covering my job, said that if they didn't get their act together pay wise, they were going to be looking for a whole new crew!
That's a lot of experience that's getting ready to walk. Our senior driver has been with them 28 1/2 years and the junior one has been there almost 7. The 2 warehouse guys have a combined 12 years experience9 7 and 5 years).
I'm glad that I'm not going through that, and hopefully they have it together over the summer before I reapply for my old job back!

Any chance you have the means to retire? I recently retired. I could have worked longer, but came to the realization that time had more value than more money. I won’t be living large, but I can live comfortably and therefore chose to take the plunge. Maybe you could run out the disability insurance and then retire or find a different job. Maybe even part time.

Jerry, I’m definitely keeping up with how the new company treats their people over the summer. I’ll find something, even if I have to get out of the battery business.
And, as much as I’d love to retire, it’s not in the cards just yet. Too much debt, and Pammi needs a few more years in the system before she has enough that we can retire on.

Thought this might bring a smile to an old army vet going through a rough patch:

A Doctor while examining an old retired Army vet, "when was the last time you had sex?"
with a long pause the vet replies."1955 I believe"
Doctor: "Whoa! Its been a long while then ?"
Vet: Its only 20:15 right now?

Update.
It seems that the HR lady told me wrong. My health insurance is stopping the end of the month!
The old company only lets you stay on for 12 weeks of short term disability.
I can continue on with COBRA coverage if I want. Only $750 a month. Roughly half of what I'm bringing in on disability. :eek:
@#&*%$# !
I've signed up for some new health care insurance on the healthcare.gov website.
Luckily, with the reduced amount of money I get on disability, I'm eligible for a $500 credit towards a new plan.
I'll have to find a new doctor(I'm okay with this), as it'll only be for a few months.
But, there is some good news.
The new company wants to have a customer service rep.
The boss said that he thought of me immediately!
My customers love me, and the other drivers customers think I'm cool too!
No more commercial vehicles or lifting heavy a$$ batteries!
Uh, win win!
And, I may be going back to work sooner than September.
I'm okay with that. I just need to wait until the end of July.
Baby brother is turning 50 and we're gathering in Maine next month!
Once that's over, lets boogie!

Back